1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Found out how to change the DHCP name...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dixie460, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dixie460

dixie460 Member

I noticed my Ascend never identified itself to wireless access points with any specific device name. A quick Google search fixed that in short order. You'll need to be rooted and have busybox and a terminal program installed. I have Terminal Emulator which is available free on the Market.

All you gotta do it open a terminal and become Superuser... just type "su" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Accept the request that comes up to allow the terminal su rights.

Now type "busybox hostname newhostname" without the quotes and substitute newhostname for whatever you wanna call your phone. Hit enter and it should go back to a prompt, with no indication of anything happening. If you want you can type exit and hit enter to relinquish su rights before exiting the terminal.

That's it. A check from my WRT54GL router shows that it works just fine. I did this on my Ascend running IcarusMod, and I'm making an educated guess that it should work on just about any Android phone as long as you have busybox and a terminal installed, and are rooted.

Frisco likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Nice work, dixie. [​IMG]

3. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

That's only temporary, it goes back to localhost after a reboot.

4. dixie460

dixie460 Member

Doh!! *Slaps forehead Homer Simpson style*

Well I wonder if I can make a startup script to change it on boot. Not that it's anything important to have a specific device name, but hell why not? That's why I bought a phone running Android, to play with it's Linux-based goodness. And also to get rid of my POS Samsung "kinda-smart" phone that ran crappy BREW, couldn't have 3rd party apps installed, and was full of firmware bugs.

Thanks for the info

5. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

You can try editing the file /proc/sys/kernel/hostname.

If you cat that file it shows the current name of the server, but if you vi the file it's empty.
    Maybe if you edit the file with the hostname in it, it will stay put.

6. darkdragone

darkdragone Lurker

hello everyone, came across this solution on another thread, says on that thread that it works for CM7, I can verify that it works on all of my devices CM9 for my Samsung Captivate, my LG Thrill running Waterbear 3D rom (thats an O3D rom i know), my Acer Iconia running TegraOwners rom. However it seems my HTC Hero running WildHeroc took the command but still didnt change the name in dhcp. Also it seems the devices revert back to their original names after a reboot. Maybe someone can put this into the scripts at boot.

put this into shell
    getprop net.hostname
    setprop net.hostname whateveryouwant

7. khankll

khankll Newbie

setprop net.hostname NewHostname
    Change Android Hostname | Invisible Algorithm