1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

found phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by djworld, May 26, 2011.

1. djworld

djworld Lurker

hey i found a verizon samsung fascinate can i activate it even though it was somebody else?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Leonard1818

Leonard1818 Android Enthusiast

No.

You need to find the owner and return the phone.

Karma is a bitch.

3. djworld

djworld Lurker

how is karma going to affect me when i found the phone and im not gonna go on a quest to find the owner i didnt ask for a lecture

4. dasanman69

dasanman69 Well-Known Member

You can't use it. Call VZW and they might contact the previous owner and ask them to release the phone for use. They might just not want it back.

5. Leonard1818

Leonard1818 Android Enthusiast

If you think finding the owner of a phone is a "quest" then you're in for a hard-knock life.

I've literally found 3 cell phones in my life and have successfully returned all 3 of them to their rightful owner with very little time invested on my end. (well, technically 2 but read story below)

This shouldn't be rocket science -- a little common sense should bring you to these steps but to help you out on your "quest"
    Here's what you do:

step 1:
    turn the phone on.

step 2:
    go to the recent calls list.

step 3:
    look for a pattern or a person who gets the most calls from or dials that phone most frequently.

step 4:
    call that person.

step 5:
    When they pick up and say "Heyyyy Giirrrrlllll" laugh a little and explain that you're not actually the owner of the phone but you've found the phone and would like to return it to the rightful owner. Ask them if they know of anyone else on the phone list that could help them put you in touch with the rightful owner.

Step 6:
    At this point, the hardest part of the quest begins. Depending on what the person in step 5 told you, it may be necessary to make another phone call to someone else. Perhaps someone in the phone labeled "mom" or "dad". It shouldn't take more than one or two more calls from that phone explaining the situation before you finally speak to the rightful owner.

step 7:
    Arrange a time/place to meet the owner (if they are local) or give them an address and have them mail you a self-addressed-stamped envelope for you to mail them their phone back in.

In my experience, every phone I've found has been someone local. I've done exactly what I've stated and the phone has returned to the rightful owner. There was only one instance where it did not. At college, I found a phone and talked to the rightful owner. She went to the same school and lived on campus but refused to walk her (presumeably fat) @ss over to my dorm to pick it up (she had the nerve to tell me to bring it to her!). After several attempts to meet her various places on campus without her showing up, I gave up.

This was back before smartphones when cell phones were relatively cheap and if I recall correctly, this one was OLD. She probably decided she didn't care and went and got a new one or was up for a new one anyway or something.

You will likely not have this problem since the rightful owner has no doubt invested a bit more into their fascinate than owners of older cellphones. I'm sure they would be eager to do most anything it takes to get their phone back.

Seriously, do the right thing and at least *try* to find the owner of the phone...

bbqdroid likes this.
  6. ggt1_02

ggt1_02 Well-Known Member

^^^This. Don't be that person. Karma will find a way to monkey stomp your soul for things like this.

Think of it this way, what if this person only had this phone because of a free upgrade or saved their pennys for months to buy it. Now they have no phone and possibly can't afford a new one. What if this person needed help and now can not call for it?

In the time it took you to register on this forum and post twice, you could have done what was suggested by earlier posters and be well one your way to un-selfishly making somebodys day.

7. jiggyjiggy

jiggyjiggy Lurker

I recently found some money, a lot of money actually. It was just sitting in this guys wallet. He had obviously misplaced it hours ago in his back pocket. That sucks for him, but luckily for me I found it!

Isn't finding things fun?!?!?!

8. Gibbyson

Gibbyson Well-Known Member

Not to mention that it retails for over 500 bucks (that's the magic number), and knowingly withholding, even lost property, is still stealing, and is a felony in some states.

Edit: I have to wonder what this world is coming to when people can end up thinking like this, and just flat out not caring about other people so easily.

9. EdNerd

EdNerd Well-Known Member

How will "karma" find you??
    People hang out with others who are like them.
    So you have surrounded youreself with "friends" who are just like you.
    Don't be surprised when one of the pirahnas bites *you* in the back!!

Ed

Samsung Fascinate Forum

The Samsung Fascinate release date was Q3 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

Q3 2010
Release Date
Reviews