• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Foursquare for Android

Last Monday a couple of protest leaders in Tunisia were very conveniently picked up and arrested because they were on FourSquare, which had been hacked by the government...

Actually it was Facebook which had been hacked by the Tunisian government, apparently with help from the Tunisian ISPs. They where sharing their Foursquare locations in Facebook.

Tunisian Government Allegedly Hacking Facebook, Gmail Accounts of Dissidents and Journalists | Fast Company
'A strange bit of JavaScript has found its way onto Tunisian Internet users' internet login screens.'

That's the flipside of the coin.

...indeed.

It seems rather stupid to me that protest leaders, dissidents, insurgents and guerillas would even do such a thing as broadcasting their exact locations to everyone, using things like Foursquare and Google Latitude along with Facebook and Twitter.

Of course governments can get accurate location information from mobile phones anyway via the carriers. Foursquare and Google Latitude just makes it much easier for them.

Employers can also see Foursquare location information on Twitter and Facebook as well....'This employee is the mayor of many bars and clubs. Frequently likes to get drunk. Perhaps we should fire him/her?'

Upvote 0
Actually it was Facebook which had been hacked by the Tunisian government, apparently with help from the Tunisian ISPs. They where sharing their Foursquare locations in Facebook.

Tunisian Government Allegedly Hacking Facebook, Gmail Accounts of Dissidents and Journalists | Fast Company
'A strange bit of JavaScript has found its way onto Tunisian Internet users' internet login screens.'

...indeed.

It seems rather stupid to me that protest leaders, dissidents, insurgents and guerillas would even do such a thing as broadcasting their exact locations to everyone, using things like Foursquare and Google Latitude along with Facebook and Twitter.

Of course governments can get accurate location information from mobile phones anyway via the carriers. Foursquare and Google Latitude just makes it much easier for them.

Employers can also see Foursquare location information on Twitter and Facebook as well....'This employee is the mayor of many bars and clubs. Frequently likes to get drunk. Perhaps we should fire him/her?'

BTW I think I'm the only person in Xilinhot who's even tried Foursquare. No other checkins I've found in the whole city. I don't share my locations with Facebook and Twitter either. I am the mayor of an art gallery, 2 museums and the police station, but NO bars, clubs or brothels.. :D

EDIT:
Posted as a reply, as AF was giving DATABASE ERROR when trying to edit previous post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones