• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FPse not functioning with certain games

(Some of you have probably seen my other topic. My apologies for making another, but this seemed like the best option. If a mod reads this, feel free to delete/lock "Issues with FPSe")

**** EDIT - READ ME - *****

I figured out what my problem was. When I downloaded the game, I extracted the archive to get a file called data.bin.ecm. I read something on some forum that you could simply edit the file type so that the file was data.bin. In retrospect, even my minimal knowledge of computers should have realized this really shouldn't work, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Up until just now, I had forgotten I did it. After some reason on a site that I download games from, it mentioned the file was a .ecm and you needed to use a specific program that decompresses it. I downloaded the program, decompressed the .ecm and got a .bin file that worked fine on the emulator.

Now, I just have one question. Whenever I load a game, none of my settings stay saved. I don't need to point it to my BIOS file, but I need to redo all of my assigned input keys. Is there any way for me to get these to load automatically when I start up a game? I'm using the default config load option, but it's still kind of inconvenient.

I went ahead and bought the PSX emulator FPse, but I'm having problems with it. I have the required BIOS (scph1001.bin), have a game with which the file type is supported (.bin) and a game that's supposed to work on my device (Diablo, with the Xperia Play). If I try and load the game, however, the phone stutters for a bit (it opens multiple copies of FPse which I need to close individually) and then does nothing (brings me back to the menu of FPse). Obviously this shouldn't be happening, but I can't figure out why. Stranger still, some games (Ehrgeiz plays, but slowly, and FF Tactics works great) still function perfectly normally.

For settings, I've tried on default as well as turning Mdec acceleration off, fast boosting off, and HLE mode off (this may have been default, I honestly don't remember). I choose the BIOS and save it as my default configuration. Start up the game, and the error occurs. I tried another copy of the game (a .cue file) and the app just closes itself. After this didn't work, I tried disabling sound, and then without sound and frame skip set to 50, and still have nothing. I'm really feeling out of options here. Anyone have any suggestions?

step by step

download the app, once you have brows to the bios file that part is done soughted.

Then download a psx rom i did from emuparadise once you have downloaded it extract the rar files, then go to google to a search unemu and save it to your desktop etc, then once your rom files have been extracted you will find a img.emu file drag this file and put it in the "unemu" icon as if it is a folder a black screen will come up showing the file file decoding by percentage once that has completed copy your file and all the ones which have been extracted to a rom folder on your memory card which is connected to your pc then open FPSE and go to your rom folder and select the .img file of your game it should work hopefully ;)

Upvote 0
I just downloaded a game from that site (I won't mention the site, as it's against rules. If you read this, I'd edit it out of your post) (Tekken 3, which, by the way, works perfectly at 50+ FPS with sound. Worth the price of FPse alone, though I'd still like to get it working). The only files that were in the archive were a .bin and a .cue. These worked...any ideas why my other ROMs wouldn't? Are they just bad ROMs?

Upvote 0
While this doesn't relate to any of your questions, I have to add one of my own to someone who may know the answer. How are PSX games with multiple disks handled? I haven't downloaded any, myself, yet, but I notice they seem to be split up into different files. So, if you play a ROM through FPse that needs to switch disks, is FPse able to perform that function?

Upvote 0
Most emulators I've played on (on PC, and I think psx4droid had it as well) have a "Change disks" option somewhere. I don't see it anywhere on FPse though. The only games I've found that need it though (FFVII and FFIX) will always give you the option to save prior to changing disks. Because the memory card on FPse is working, you can save your game to the "memory card". When you get to the point where you can change disks, you can save, quit the game, load disk 2/3/4, and you can start your game from where you left off.

Upvote 0
i recently downloaded the emulator and so far downloaded wwf smackdown 2 know your role it worked perfectly while brian lara cricket 99 did not i think it obviously could be a rom issue if some games work better then others its what updates are for the dev may still be working on the emulator to improve it perhaps....

Upvote 0
Most emulators I've played on (on PC, and I think psx4droid had it as well) have a "Change disks" option somewhere. I don't see it anywhere on FPse though. The only games I've found that need it though (FFVII and FFIX) will always give you the option to save prior to changing disks. Because the memory card on FPse is working, you can save your game to the "memory card". When you get to the point where you can change disks, you can save, quit the game, load disk 2/3/4, and you can start your game from where you left off.

Looking at the dev's website, they do seem to indicate the app does have a "Change Disk" option for games that require it, but I haven't actually played any yet to see if/ how it works.

Also, another question. The PSX ROMs that I've found and downloaded so far have all come with a .bin file and .cue file. Do I need the .cue file? It's a tiny little file, so I assumed it's nothing critical to the game, but I didn't want to delete them, just in case they are important. It's just annoying, because when I go into the FPse app, all my games are listed twice (once for .bin file, and once for the .cue file), and it'd be kinda nice to just be able to list out the .bin files.

Upvote 0

sorry 4 bumping. but i was just curious how you managed to save and load on fpse greywolfe. the saved games always come up as corrupted data when i load the memory card...i can use gamestate save but when it comes to changing discs for ff games ill need to save on memory card :\ did you make some adjustments or are you just luky lol

@MRW1215 i removed the cue file for raiden and it still runs fine, havent tested on any other games though

Upvote 0
I am confused.. I downloaded fpse off the interenet and its version is 0.10.59 and i have the Samsung Galaxy S2 version 2.3.6. So everytime i download a rom (Final Fantasy 7) and the download will go all the way through but when i put the rom onto my phone's sd card i would go to fpse and it would not be there.. Someone please help

If someone can, can you post a step by step tutorial of how to do this..

PLEASE

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones