1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Fractured Froyo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Epicurean, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Epicurean

Epicurean Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Programmer
    Maryland
    So now Samsung has 4 different populations that need to be addressed:

1. Those that are still on stock Eclair 2.1 DI18

2. Those that went from stock 2.1 to OTA 2.2.1 EB13. Not sure if there are different issues for those that went from stock 2.1 to OTW 2.2.1

3. Those that installed the 2.2.1 DK28 leak from December. These will not automatically upgrade to 2.2.1 EB13

4. Those that somehow went from the 2.2.1 DK28 leak to OTW EB13 2.2.1

Not sure if Samsung cares much about those in populations 3 & 4, but there must be a significant number of them that will need to get on whatever the final version Samsung eventually releases so we can all come back to the same code base. I would think that Samsung has to take some responsibility for them since the update was found on Google's servers (insert link here).

For whatever it's worth, I have 1 phone in population #1 and another in population #3. I told Mrs. Epicurean that I wouldn't "hack her phone", so it never got the OTA and we are fine with that. And yes I know I can get my phone from #3 to #4 but I think it's rather pointless. My phone works fine for now and I depend on it too much to be messing around with it needlessly. When the final/final 2.2.1 comes out I'll take it, hopefully without too much disruption.

Advertisement

2. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    IT BA
    Chicagoland, IL
    Yup, I agree with this. I would be interested to see which group you have listed is encountering the majority of the problems.

I personally am part of group 2.5 (stock 2.1, not rooted, nothing; updated OTW via update.zip) and am not having any significant problems. Battery life is better, GPS seemingly works great, but I cannot give the full thump up until I actually navigate somewhere.