• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frame Drop with HD videos

Moe_P

Lurker
May 10, 2020
I'm having this problem since the new update where I can't watch videos at 780p or higher resolution, the fps drops dramatically and it looks like I'm watching a stop motion video.
I'm using high performance, restarted the phone, cleared cache and still nothing. Anyone has suggestions?

op, what is the "new update" you are referring to? the may security patch or the latest Samsung UI firmware? highly doubt any OTA update is the source of your issue, lest there would be hundreds of people complaining.

OP. why dont you post up the videos you are having issues with so others with the same phone can test.

are you on wifi or cellular when you are testing these videos? did you do a speed test?

Upvote 0
op, what is the "new update" you are referring to? the may security patch or the latest Samsung UI firmware? highly doubt any OTA update is the source of your issue, lest there would be hundreds of people complaining.

OP. why dont you post up the videos you are having issues with so others with the same phone can test.

are you on wifi or cellular when you are testing these videos? did you do a speed test?
The Samsung firmware update, I didn't have these issues before but I'm not really sure that's the problem.
Basically happens with every youtube video, videos would load fine but where there's a lot of movement like action movies clips or basketball games closeups lag happens.
I tried both data and wifi to be sure and makes no difference and no I didn't do a speed test

Have you tried restarting your phone or tablet?
I did, didn't seem to have done anything

Upvote 0
your issue is not going to be fixable over the internet. you may need to contact samsung.

without seeing your phone and what you have installed, it could be anything causing your issue.

if you have a way to record a video of your phone stuttering so those over the internet can visually SEE what you are talking about, that may be helpful.

there could be a rogue app that is not updated to the latest firmware or you could have some settings that were altered -- its just to big of a rabbit hole.

for grins I just tried some random videos using the VANCED version of youtube (3rd party) and all videos played fine. even in whatsapp conversations. I even used another 3rd party youtube viewer and no stuttering.

worse case a factory reset may be in your future.

edit: use your phones camera to record some random video around the house in the max frame rate and resolution. play it back using a couple of different video players. do you see any stuttering?

Reactions: Moe_P
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones