1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Frames dropped when shooting motion video

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by th1sn00b, Aug 9, 2011.

1. th1sn00b

th1sn00b Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    So, I've recently got an HTC Evo 3D. Pretty satisfied with the phone and the camera is great, but I have noticed something that has been troubling me quite a bit. Everytime I record a video, sometimes the camera would get 'choppy' and other times it would be smooth while I'm recording. The choppy part isn't terrible, but it is noticeable and it seems as though there has been a drop in framerate. Now, like i said it doesnt happen all the time. It tends to happen when I get back to the camcorder screen after shooting a video. I viewed it on both the phone and the computer and it is still choppy, unless the camcorder wasn't choppy prior to the recording.

Advertisement

2. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    the camera and still imager use a LOT of processing power and RAM. if you have a lot of things open or running in the background, this can cause some dropped frames.

try this: do a soft reset from the shutdown screen. then turn off BT wifi and any other unneeded option and then run your camera in the same setting as prior and note any difference.

further, do you see this in 3D or 2D or both?

3. JD_from_da_80s

JD_from_da_80s Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    I was just reading the thread about SD cards, wonder if the speed of his card has anything to do with it. What size card & speed do you have?

4. th1sn00b

th1sn00b Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    It seems to happens everytime I start up the camera. It happesn with both the camera and the camcorder. I can get rid of the problem by switching to the camcorder back to the camera, but the problem comes back after I take a picture or after I shoot a video. It seems to happen only with 2D on the startup. I'm using the SD card that came with the phone, so I think it's about an 8GB card and I turned off all running applications, BT, Wi-Fi but I still get the problem.

marctronixx likes this.
  5. Habiib

Habiib Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Pardon my ignorance of any incorrect terminology, but I've noticed that the frame rate seems to either drop or there is some type of buffering issue with the 2D video recording capabilities of the EVO 3D.

If you look at this video, you will see that lighting of the scene/subject is pretty low and the frame rate stays consistent and smooth.

EVO 3D Low Lighting Record - YouTube

If you look at this video of the exact same subject, you will see that lighting of the scene/subject is higher but the frame rate seems to drop and is very noticeable. Towards the end you will see what looks like dynamic spot-metering and the frame rate fluctuates.

EVO 3D Bright Lighting Recording - YouTube

I've tested out the camcorder application on both the Motorola Photon and Samsung Epic Touch 4G. None of them showed this behavior and maintained consistent recording frame rate (even when lighting levels changed during recording).

I don't think this is a hardware issue, because a Class 10 Memory card was in use at the time. My only guess is that the software is the culprit of what I'm seeing, and maybe isn't fully optimized to handle video recording?

I will state the obvious that this is a phone and not a camcorder and I don't expect it to perform as such. But once I saw that the Samsung and Motorola phones did not do this, my curiosity kicked in and I'm wondering if anyone else has input on this subject?

6. wake69

wake69 Android Expert
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
Tags: