• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Freddie Mercury and Queen fans take note!

Very interesting. Is it due to government censorship in the past (present?) or something else? It's just hard for me to imagine an entire country not being affected by, or even aware of, Beatlemania in its heyday.

When Beatlemania was in its heyday, so was Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution.

Here's a BBC blog article thats basically about the PRC's real introduction to Western pop and rock in the 1980s:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-32229596
"Wham! were due to perform in Beijing and the southern city of Guangzhou in April 1985.
The duo were set to become the first Western band to play inside China, beating other hopefuls Queen and the Rolling Stones."

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I'm happy that Bohemian Rhapsody won multiple Oscars tonight. It makes me feel good that although he died in 1991, Freddie Mercury is still very much alive through his music, and now through this movie.

I loved seeing Dr Brian May and Roger Taylor in the audience, gray hair in all its glory. :) For those who don't know, Dr Brian May went back to school and got his PhD in astrophysics in his 60s. Now that's awesome!

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Excuse me? :eek: :) Every vegan I know--and that's in the hundreds of thousands, counting online--is not only aware of that, but also understands why, as a vegan food, it's a problem.

I'll apologise for the bad phrase of word. It was never my intention to tar everyone with the same brush. Trust me, I've been tarred with that one before. The way I see it though is that we're all animals at the end of the day (can't say we're different from animals because we've got a conscious, I've seen a guilty looking dog when they've done something wrong) . Although you've never seen a vegan standing in front of a lion telling them not to eat that gazelle. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather spend a lifetime relaxing in a field until the day I got shot in the head, opposed to every day looking over my shoulder until the day that lion claws at me, catches me and then after the struggle, when it finally clamps down on the back of my neck I can slowly see life slipping away :)

Upvote 0
As a Westerner, it's really hard for me to imagine what it was like living in that kind of society.

Fascinating article. Thanks, Mike. I wonder how many of those cassette tapes still exist. :)

I can't really either, I suppose the nearest thing to it now would be North Korea.

Not many, and probably anyone who's still got one of those Wham! China cassettes, is no doubt treasuring and hanging onto it.

Upvote 0
I'll apologise for the bad phrase of word. It was never my intention to tar everyone with the same brush. Trust me, I've been tarred with that one before. The way I see it though is that we're all animals at the end of the day (can't say we're different from animals because we've got a conscious, I've seen a guilty looking dog when they've done something wrong) . Although you've never seen a vegan standing in front of a lion telling them not to eat that gazelle. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather spend a lifetime relaxing in a field until the day I got shot in the head, opposed to every day looking over my shoulder until the day that lion claws at me, catches me and then after the struggle, when it finally clamps down on the back of my neck I can slowly see life slipping away :)

I know we're going OT in this thread. But here's a thought; the lion doesn't need to cook the gazelle meat before eating it, unlike homo sapiens. Eating most animal meats raw is something that humans just can't do, unlike other carnivorous animals. We just weren't designed for it we naturally ate berries and fruits and things. There's exceptions of course like steak tartare or sushi.

Maybe we could start a new thread about this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know we're going OT in this thread. But here's a thought; the lion doesn't need to cook the gazelle meat before eating it, unlike homo sapiens. Eating most animal meats raw is something that humans just can't do, unlike other carnivorous animals. We just weren't designed for it we naturally ate berries and fruits and things

We did used to eat raw meat though before we evolved and learnt how to make fire. Trust me, if a lion could start a fire they'd be cooking us on a barbeque ;)

Upvote 0
I know we're going OT in this thread.
But I'm the OP--and I don't mind! :)
But here's a thought; the lion doesn't need to cook the gazelle meat before eating it, unlike homo sapiens. Eating most animal meats raw is something that humans just can't do, unlike other carnivorous animals. We just weren't designed for it
Because human animals aren't carnivores; we are, at most, omnivores.

Another important thing to note--and this ALWAYS comes up when an anti-vegetarian asks "what do you think your canine teeth are for?!"--is that humans aren't taking other animals down with their teeth. :eek:
we naturally ate berries and fruits and things.
Right! Healthy, vibrant foods from living sources.
There's exceptions of course like steak tartare or sushi.
Even those aren't 100% safe, nor can they be eaten in their original form; they have be to manipulated with utensils. It's that teeth thing again. :D
Maybe we could start a new thread about this?
Honestly, I'd rather not. I've been online for 30+ years, and have spent much time and effort educating, debating, arguing, enlightening, encouraging, etc., when it comes to my passionate concern for other sentient beings. The one thing that can be counted on is for it to devolve into a mudslinging insult-fest.

At this point in my life, still recovering from nearly dying, I consciously and deliberately avoid stress. As I've said before, I come to AF for camaraderie and fun--not to get into heated arguments. You'll note that I NEVER participate in anything political or involving hot-button issues. Right now, this discussion is our little secret, with a few people--who are good, respectful members. A thread of its own would lead down a path I just can't participate in right now.

Upvote 0
We did used to eat raw meat though
Yep--and the average lifespan was what, 20-30 years? Coincidence? :)
before we evolved and learnt how to make fire. Trust me, if a lion could start a fire they'd be cooking us on a barbeque ;)
That's funny. It made me laugh out loud! :D

Upvote 0
Yep--and the average lifespan was what, 20-30 years? Coincidence? :)

That's funny. It made me laugh out loud! :D

I'm glad it did. We maybe have different views but we're all here to enjoy life. I have a strange feeling of deja vu but did I say if we're all the same we'd get tired of looking at each other? I don't know maybe another life lol. Although I've always been a firm believer of if I make someone smile then my life was slightly less pointless :D

Upvote 0
Even those aren't 100% safe, nor can they be eaten in their original form; they have be to manipulated with utensils. It's that teeth thing again. :D

Indeed. BTW I had sashimi last week, and I made sure I thoroughly soaked it in the vinegar and wasabi sauce before eating it. Of course I'm not dipping into a lake or river, and eating the salmon ungutted and unprepared. LOL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm glad it did. We maybe have different views but we're all here to enjoy life. I have a strange feeling of deja vu but did I say if we're all the same we'd get tired of looking at each other? I don't know maybe another life lol.
Maybe it was me. :) I'm fond of saying that if we were all alike, this world would be a mighty boring place!
Although I've always been a firm believer of if I make someone smile then my life was slightly less pointless :D
Well, you made me smile, and I thank you for that. I love humor! I think it's good for the soul.

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0
Well apparently the Bohemian Rhapsody I saw was two minutes shorter than the producers intended.
http://time.com/5541656/china-bohemian-rhapsody-censor-lgbtq/
“Rather than homophobic, I think (China’s censors) are sexphobic,” LGBTQ activist and documentary filmmaker Fan Popo told CNN. “They are probably the most conservative people in China, that’s why they are chosen for this job,” he said.

That sounds about right, because there are no movie ratings in China, and so all movies released here are effectively PG or suitable for all.

I think they got it all period correct, and the music is awesome. I liked the miming for the BBC scene, with Killer Queen. Because Top of the Pops performances were always mimed, and most people knew that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones