• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Freddie's Computer Build

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
Hello everyone, SF here and I'm going to be building another computer soon for my cousin Freddie. He's about 35 years old, him and his son really like to play World of Warcraft. ---Me I never played it, I'm more into Battlefield and Single Player RPG games like Skyrim and Fallout. So, with this new system, and my bias AMD fan as you see from my avatar I wanted to build him a full on AMD machine, but there is a $700 - $800 budget. To me, that's fairly average, and I think I have pulled it off from the parts that I have selected. I have written up a Google Drive Document with all the parts and a link to the part on Newegg. Though they are just on newegg, I will probably end up buying them from Amazon because Amazon offers Free Shipping and NO TAX easily cutting cost of the machine.

So, please take a look at the parts I have selected, and let me know what I can do to better improve my machine.

The parts in red do not count, as I have taken them out.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BreSE1nsnRcZjx-NMqGqfoMXKXnIY-XuIXkonuYDm_0/edit?usp=sharing

For starters, my wife played WoW on a Gateway 6850 laptop for years. No problems until the video started to go (after quite a few years). WoW isn't something that needs a supercomputer. (Unless you like to set records - I think my wife is still the only player who ever died when she was dead.)

She still pays - the old laptop finally went totally dead, so she's on an ASUS now - Win 8, 4GB Ram. She still tops 60fps on occasion. (I should correct what I said - she doesn't "play" WoW, she's a resident of the server and visits reality once in a while. Calling her a die-hard player is the understatement of the century.)

That said, you're building an Abrams tank to defeat a Roman foot soldier. It's a total beast for WoW. The only limiting factor is going to be your ping time to the server - nothing on that computer is going to come anywhere near even having to walk fast.

But I'd add one thing - a 1TB or 2TB Seagate magnetic drive. Just in case he turns into a software junkie.

And it goes without saying that I'm jealous.

Upvote 0
For starters, my wife played WoW on a Gateway 6850 laptop for years. No problems until the video started to go (after quite a few years). WoW isn't something that needs a supercomputer. (Unless you like to set records - I think my wife is still the only player who ever died when she was dead.)

She still pays - the old laptop finally went totally dead, so she's on an ASUS now - Win 8, 4GB Ram. She still tops 60fps on occasion. (I should correct what I said - she doesn't "play" WoW, she's a resident of the server and visits reality once in a while. Calling her a die-hard player is the understatement of the century.)

That said, you're building an Abrams tank to defeat a Roman foot soldier. It's a total beast for WoW. The only limiting factor is going to be your ping time to the server - nothing on that computer is going to come anywhere near even having to walk fast.

But I'd add one thing - a 1TB or 2TB Seagate magnetic drive. Just in case he turns into a software junkie.

And it goes without saying that I'm jealous.

I was considering adding more storage but think that 240 is good for starters. If he want's more, which I doubt that he will use 200 GB at all for the games because he will mainly use it for WoW. He could always add more.

Though from time to time he may play Battlefield 4, the APU can handle BF4 pretty well, but it's better to have dedicated graphics.

Upvote 0
Larger drive would be nice but in that price range, and with gaming in mind, you are probably better off spending the money elsewhere and adding an external HDD if the need arises. He may not need the firepower yet but down the road he'll probably appreciate it. Nice to leave him memory expansion too, which you've done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones