1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Free alternative for MMS

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by eighty7ss, Jan 20, 2015.

1. eighty7ss

eighty7ss Lurker

I have a very old plan with unlimited data through Verizon that I am not willing to give up quite yet. With this old plan I also have a very basic TEXT plan that gives me free incoming SMS and 300 outbound. I pay $0.25 for incoming Pic Messages and $0.50 for outbound. I was using Google Voice for everything, though it woulnd't receive MMS, but since they changed the format and diverted their attention to Hangouts I am currently using Hangouts but got killed last month for $20 in fees due to Pic Messages. I would like to use this app to send and receive free MMS without both parties having to use the same app like "Whats App".

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert

there might be something out there but i'm not aware of anything like this....at least not without both sides requiring the same app.

IMO, it might be worth saving the hassle of possibly having to spend $20/month in fees and switch to the newer plans.

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I doubt there is any alternative to both using the same app, unless you use a non-proprietary solution like sending the pics as email attachments.

Any message service needs to know where to deliver the message and both parties to have software able to send and receive using its protocol. MMS works on all phones and between networks because it is a standard, so is supported by all networks and all phones, and you are identified by your phone number. For an Internet-based solution those 2 requirements still exist, which is why all of the instant messaging solutions rely on both parties having the apps and accounts (which in some cases are built into the platform, but that's why those only work if both parties are using the same platform).

For an app to work without the other person having it the message would need to be translated into an MMS if the other person doesn't have the app. That's possible, but it requires an interface (gateway) to the cellular network, and at that point someone will be charged. And if you are charged for receiving messages (a rip-off that as a European I can only shake my head at) and the other person doesn't have the app there is no way they can send to you without your being charged.

#3 Hadron, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015