• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free Android phones are offered on Cnet? Is it possible?

They aren't really giving them away free. It's free with a contract and you still have to pay the $35 activation fee. At Amazon, you can already get the Eris and the Ally for free, and the Droid only costs you $20, and I'm pretty sure all of those come with Activation. So that deal really is not that good. And by the way, CNet is not giving away the phones, they were just informing people that Wirefly had the deal going on.
And to address your last question about about how manufacturers make money, it's not the manufacturers giving them away. The manufacturers make them for Verizon or any other carrier, who then sells them whole-sale to other retailers, such as Wirefly. Wirefly is able to give them away for free because they still profit due to the money they get from Verizon for signing people up for the two year contract.

Upvote 0
They aren't really giving them away free. It's free with a contract and you still have to pay the $35 activation fee. At Amazon, you can already get the Eris and the Ally for free, and the Droid only costs you $20, and I'm pretty sure all of those come with Activation. So that deal really is not that good. And by the way, CNet is not giving away the phones, they were just informing people that Wirefly had the deal going on.
And to address your last question about about how manufacturers make money, it's not the manufacturers giving them away. The manufacturers make them for Verizon or any other carrier, who then sells them whole-sale to other retailers, such as Wirefly. Wirefly is able to give them away for free because they still profit due to the money they get from Verizon for signing people up for the two year contract.
[FONT=&quot]Thanks. I perused this news. In fact, we need to pay $35 instead of pay for phone, only converter is free. It is just their marketing method. Maybe I will pay another fee, like, monthly bill if I get this one. Their goal is to sell their phone and get money back.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
It's a bot, they're not actually asking a question, only trying to get you to buy a phone. It's their first post, and the grammar is like something out of an e-mail scam where you've just gotten a hundred million dollars.
[FONT=&quot]Hi caustic,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am not a bot. I just want to make sure it is true or not. [/FONT]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones