1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Free cell phones for welfare recipents?

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Affairs' started by LoyalServant, Apr 12, 2011.

1. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    S A Y W H A T ?????

While I was getting gas there was a woman talking on her 'new cell phone' while getting gas...
    She was telling the person on the other end about this free phone and all you need to do is have some form of 'public assistance'.

I checked it out and yeah.. it's legit.
    They tout this as a phone for 'emergencies' and in most states you get upwards of 200 minutes a month, etc etc.

If we needed to hand out phones for 'emergencies' what happened to using a working simless phone that still calls 911?

Where is the TEA PARTY when you need them?
    Discuss.... please don't flame me but I don't want to pay for someone elses phone either!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Maybe it's my age, but I fail to see how a cell phone is an essential. :thinking:

Convenient, yes. Helpful, yes. Essential, no.

Crude likes this.
  3. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    You honestly should not get all upset about something over heard at a gas station.

There are a ton of programs that will give second hand cellphones to the poor that are activity finding jobs or just started a job. You want them to get a job right?

A lot of people can't afford to get a phone and therefor have no way for a employer to get a hold of them.

You want them to get a job right, but you don't want to do anything that might help them get a job. A person that can be called to be told the got a job and can transition off welfare is a lot better then a person that can not get that call and never get off welfare.

That is really the problem right. You just don't care what happens to them, as long as the doesn't have anything to do with you. As long as they are out of sight and out of mind, you are fine with it. You honestly view each and everyone of them as subhuman and not worthy of human kindness.

Just typical of republicans, as long as it helps only them and theirs, they could care less what happens to anyone else. And even though they scream about morals and rights, they will not do anything for the lesser of your brother and sisters.

cds0699 likes this.
  4. LoyalServant

None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    Who said anything about Republicans?
    Actually I personally identify with libertarians more than anything.

Republican.. Democrat.... whatever.
    I still don't want to pay for momma to call the baby daddy... sorry.:eek:

5. batgeek

None

Sep 4, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    Suffolk, VA
    yes, i do.

6. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    So you are ok with pretty much guaranteeing them no chance to get off welfare, because they may use the phone for personal use?

Well ok. I just hope you don't get yourself into a place where you end up in the same position.

7. batgeek

None

Sep 4, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    Suffolk, VA
    don't worry, we won't. we take a little pride in ourselves to not let it happen.

8. dark4181

dark4181 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Southeast, USA
    Why would they want to get off welfare? It gives them everything they need, so they don't have to get their lazy ass off the couch. It's enabling, plain and simple

2003vstrom likes this.
  9. LoyalServant

None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    Should we help people that REALLY want to resolve their situation?
    Absolutely yes!

The problem as I see it is that a lot of these people don't want to have their situation resolved.
    Why should they? They get a place to live, a phone to call whomever they want and the ability to watch Maury give paternity tests on TV.
    All for the low, low price of .... wait for it... $0

The way I see welfare is that it should be a JOB.
    Apply for welfare? okay.. but that welfare is not welfare, its a temp job that fronts you some cash for a place to live but dammit you better report to work or your ass is out!

It's easier to get a job when you have a job!
    So your emptying trash at the local park.. it's a job.

What a better way to turn our WELFARE STATE into a win-win by putting these people to work in public.
    Oh wait.. did I just hear some left-wing liberal start screaming slavery for making them do an honest days work for that FREE CELL PHONE?

Aww shucks who am I kidding....:(

I hear the roof on the town hall is leaking... go round up some people on welfare and get their ass up there to replace that roof!

I can dream right?

10. batgeek

None

Sep 4, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    Suffolk, VA
    oh but then you are infringing on union jobs...or worse, unionized public sector jobs.

who do the liberals want to piss off more? their unemployed welfare constituents, or their lazy union constituents?

decisions decisions....which side of the entitlement scale to drop more weight on....

11. OutofDate1980

OutofDate1980 Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    It appears for profit companies are the biggest promoters:

http://www.freesamplesite.com/ydf/s...ell-Phone-if-you-qualify-(Federal-assistance)
    "How to Qualify

The process to qualify for Lifeline Service depends on the State you live in. In general, you may qualify if...

1. You already participate in other State or Federal assistance program such as Federal Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps and Medicaid. OR
    2. Your total household income is at or below of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government. AND
    3. No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier.
    4. You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your free phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.
    In addition to meeting the guidelines above you will also be required to provide proof of your participation in an assistance program, or proof of your income level."

The whippings will continue till morale improves. Kick'em while they're still down. Poor people are poor because they want to be. The poor will always be with us. Work will make you free.

Anybody else have more marketing slogans to justify man's inhumanity to man ?

12. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    As far back as I can remember, there were no free phones. If you could not pay the bill, you did not have a phone. This was before cellphones. But these days, if you are poor and really trying to find work, you likely need a phone.

There are very few pay phones in my area. Those few remaining phones often do not work and it is expensive to make a phone call from a pay phone. What was once an option is rapidly disappearing.

As for the tea party comment, not too sure what you mean.

Bob

13. ParishL31

ParishL31 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 15, 2010
    Student
    Colorado
    I'm 22 and I feel the same way. I've made that argument a number of times that we have gotten into the false sense that a cell phone is essential. I'm sorry, I'm only 22 but I remember the times if you tried to meet up with someone at the movies and you couldn't find them, you were just SOL since you couldn't contact them.

I don't have a problem giving them a land line. Cell phones are excessively more expensive than a land line and are not necessary. I know many people own cell phones rather than a land line, but we're talking welfare that is given out for free. I still know some people who don't own a cell phone because they can't afford it, they still have a land line though. Prioritizing welfare recipients over those who budget wisely is plain wrong.

14. cipher6

cipher6 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    GIS Admin
    South Texas
    Benefits in Texas:
    Benefits in Maryland:
    Go Texas! That makes sense, free minutes a few days out of the month for important stuff.

check your state:
    https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/home.aspx

15. cipher6

None

Dec 8, 2010
    GIS Admin
    South Texas
    More Info:
    Lifeline Across America - Consumers

TracFone Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member
    None

It never ceases to amaze me, just how shallow, ignorant and selfish some people are.

1. These programs are funded through the phone companies. not a penny of taxes are spent on them.

2. Phone subsidies have been around since Reagan. In fact it was the FCC during the Reagan era that started a phone subsidy for land lines.

3. No, cell phones aren't a necessity, but they are convenient, and in spite of what one poster said ARE cheaper than a landline. Before I gave up my landline years ago, I was spending 50 bucks a month-my cell phone is half that today.

4. If anyone thinks living on welfare, food stamps, unemployment or workers comp is living a life of luxury have OBVIOUSLY never had to use these services.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of believing everyone is abusing the system, but until you're in that position, you really just need to stfu.

melim likes this.
  17. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    Hey sport . . . Safelink is one service mentioned and it is indeed supported by the U.S. Government. From their web site:

"SAFELINK WIRELESS

18. LoyalServant

None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    Subsidy.... that is something that I end up paying on my bill so it's basically a tax.

Or do you guys think the phone companies are going to keep that fee to themselves and not pass it on out of the goodness of their hearts? :rolleyes:

If this was a voluntary thing, fine... but I don't have a choice in the matter.
    It's the government taking my money and giving it to someone else.

19. cipher6

None

Dec 8, 2010
    GIS Admin
    South Texas
    WRONG.

Universal Service Fund:

From my Verizon bill:
    Under Verizon Wireless' Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits

Yes, if you pay a phone bill, you are contributing to the USF that helps get phones to poor people.

20. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Student
    Cork City, IMF, EU
    thread on this already, I think giving out phones is silly

21. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    While we are at it lets give them a vacation to where ever they want to go. Give them a free car with free maintenance and free gas card. When Will we say its too much. I say sure give them a cell phone but make it where it phones police, fire, or rescue squad. THats all they would need anyways but you can dial 911 on a lan line and not have phone service.

God welfare rs has the good life. On my dime might I add. :mad:

22. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    This is honestly it in a nutshell, having a cell phone allows employers to contact them and hopefully get to a position where they no longer need the help.

Good post, RiverOfIce.

23. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Go ****ing panhandle/recycle for a day and buy a 20 dollar go phone. If you can't scrape together 20 dollars, you are not a worker, and you are not using your free cell phone for work anyways.

Honestly these people pissed off everyone in their life, made stupid choice after stupid choice - their own flesh and blood won't give them 20 bucks for a phone, why would I?

24. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Student
    There are so many gorss assumptions here, it's hard to know where to start.

How do you know they have pissed off everyone in their life?
    How do you know they made ANY stupid choices?
    How do you know they even HAVE "flesh and blood" left on this earth to give them $20?

I am with you in that I find it a little ridiculous that we are funding CELL PHONES for these people (I could perhaps be more understanding about a basic landline), but I find your views of the needy simply appauling.

25. FreakyLocz14

None

Jul 13, 2010
    If this is funded by a private charity or a corporation, than I have no problem with it. If taxpayer dollars are funding this, I'm pissed.

You can buy a cheap Virgin Mobile or a TracFone for $10 and spend $15-25 per month for basic service. Not to mention that 911 calls are free and must be connected even if you don't pay for service once you buy that $10 phone. Since they are most likely getting government aid, they should have some money. They can get a basic landline to make local calls for $5-10 bucks per month in most places. In some places, it's even free! If that's not enough for you, paying a little more to have the convenience of a cell phone is warranted.