• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free charge from amazon

jfoey22

Android Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Here you are all that are in the market for a new 4G VZW phone. Amazon is offering the Charge, Thunderbolt or Revolution for free on Monday. Sounds like a sweet deal. Remember though, Amazon, along with other retailers, have their own terms and conditions. Don't quote me, but I don't believe you can change your plan within some time period (like 6 months or something) if you purchase from Amazon. Not a big deal for people upgrading because chances are you don't change your plan that often.

Amazon Taking Memorial Day Sale to Next Level: Nearly Twenty 4G Phones Will Be Free Monday

where did you hear about the Verizon sale? I'm looking to go get a Charge tomorrow but I will hold off if there will be a sale.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/27/verizon-may-be-holding-their-own-private-memorial-day-sale-thunderbolts-for-99/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+%28droid+life%29

Upvote 0
I am looking to get a Charge this weekend. I assume that this deal doesn't apply to me (upgrade on a family plan). These Amazon deals almost always apply to new customers only. Looks like I will be paying $250

Check out Let's Talk. They have a 20% discount coupon code running this weekend on Verizon phones. It's on BGR. Go through the steps to see what it would cost you. Might do better than $250.

Upvote 0
I have a question. Because of my job I am eligible for a 10% discount on my monthly bill from verizon. If I get this phone from amazon can I go the the verizon store later and get the 10% dicount applied or does this only happen if I buy this at a verizon store?

thanks.

Where you get the phone has no impact on your being able to apply the discount to your monthly plan. Are you not currently a Verizon customer? Once you get the phone, just call customer service to apply the discount.

Upvote 0
crap i just paid $300 for the droid charge a few days ago. )(#@&*()#(@#

A few days ago? Take it back! I just returned my Charge today, might pick another one up but I am trying to hold out on the 2nd group of LTE phones (Bionic, SGS2, Sensation, G2).

Regardless of the outcome of the Amazon deal (New Customers or Upgrade Customers) the Charge can be had for less than $299.99 VZW is charging. I believe the normal rate this weekend on Amazon is $199.99. Costco has it for $249.99.

Upvote 0
A few days ago? Take it back! I just returned my Charge today, might pick another one up but I am trying to hold out on the 2nd group of LTE phones (Bionic, SGS2, Sensation, G2).

Regardless of the outcome of the Amazon deal (New Customers or Upgrade Customers) the Charge can be had for less than $299.99 VZW is charging. I believe the normal rate this weekend on Amazon is $199.99. Costco has it for $249.99.

But dont i have to cancel the whole contract too? then sign up again with amazonwireless? i dont think that will work, even if it does it will be such a mess with number porting throw in there. And i already installed the screen protector. Should waited for memorial day weekend, stupid me.

Amazonwireless $199 isnt that great, it was so much trouble porting the number going through them when i did it with t-mobile for my parents, had to call t-mobile 3 times to get permission etc vs signing up on the carrier's site directly where the number is already ported when you get the phone, just put in the new sim card and done.

also amazonwireless charge the $35 activation fee while verizonwireless waives that and fatwallet has a $30 dollar credit if you go through verizon directly, verizon also ships next day air vs amazonwireless 2day shipping + time to send the order to verizon. Also return isnt as easy with amazonwireless, they require the phone to be brand new unused at all.

But if it's free at amazon, that's a different story :/

Upvote 0
But dont i have to cancel the whole contract too? then sign up again with amazonwireless? i dont think that will work, even if it does it will be such a mess with number porting throw in there. And i already installed the screen protector.

Should waited for memorial day weekend, stupid me.But if it's free at amazon, that's a different story :/

Yeah, that is a little more complicated than what I did. I was already a VZW subscriber and from day 1 I intended on returning the charge. Just wanted to test drive it. If you have a Verizon phone that you could active your line on, then it would be easy. But, sounds like you came from another carrier and would either have to have a line with no equipment (which I don't think VZW will allow) or you would have to go back to your other service while the transition is in place.

Upvote 0
i just called verizon to make sure if i got a 4g phone it wouldnt change my plan (the one with 9.99 unlimted data that was out in jan this year). so she asked me what phone i was interested in and of course said the charge. i was not complaining or anything and she offered it to me for 299 and one month free service witch is 140 off my next bill. of cource i said yes so the charge cost me 160, me likey. just passing this along she was for custmer loyilty or something.:eek:

Upvote 0
Newguy 05,
Verizon should just redo the paperwork but you'll acually not change out the phone. This is how it works at various other type stores I've done that in.

sorry i still dont get it, i have a verizon droid charge right now that i got a few days ago with a new 2 year contract. this free phone deal is through amazonwireless which requires a new 2 year contract. How will it work? thanks

Upvote 0
Amazon Wireless still has the Charged listed at $179.99. I've done a search on Google and various sites are saying that Amazon announced that a bunch of 4G phones are free, but some sites are just saying the $179.99 sale without mentioning anything about the Charge being free. Has anyone gotten it for free yet?

I have gone all the way through to the "review and place order" page with no mention from Amazon of the phone being free. I thought maybe I had to go through the whole process so they saw that I am a new customer getting a 2-year contract, but no luck with that either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones