1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Free Droid X or buy a new phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mp847, Apr 22, 2012.

1. mp847

mp847 Lurker

I just made an account because I'll be joining the world of smartphones soon, but I'd like some educated opinions.

I'll be getting an Android smart-phone soon, and I was intended to buy a current model. However, my dad says that he has a never-been-used Droid X laying around that he'll just give me. Now I've done some research and from what I've read the Droid X, while it's approaching 2 years old and doesn't have the ICS OS, it's still a pretty decent phone at least for now.

So, all things considered, should I buy a current Android model or use a free Droid X instead? And if I use the Droid X, how future-proof will I be? Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tsp_2177

tsp_2177 Member

Honestly since you have never had a smartphone before I would take the free droid x and see how you like android. It wont get ICS but it does have gingerbread. Should be a decent phone for a while at least. Use it and see how phone technology advances in the next few months and upgrade to one of those and sell the droid x to offset the cost is what I would do because you would still have the upgrade if you get the free droid x

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I agree with tsp, get the feel for what you want in a phone without locking into a contract. Then when you decide what you like and don't like and see what others do with their Androids, you can then enter a contract and get a top end phone for little $$.

4. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast

Greetings MP,

This is an win all the way situation. You get venture into the world of smart phones, with nothing but the cost of a data plan (at least here in the states.)

You can figure out if the android platform is even to your liking, without being tied down to a lengthy contract.

I say the following with the utmost respect and not speaking down to you, stop worrying about a future operating OS, when you have no experience to compare it to.