1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support free memory discrepancy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Marsr, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Marsr

Marsr Member
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Sydney
    When I go to settings>applications>running services, it shows 350mb+ free memory usually and around 220mb in use. However, on some apps, such as Android Status (and task killers), it only shows around 135mb free of the total 621mb. The two different values don't really make sense. Anyone know what this is about?

edit: just downloaded Automatic Task Killer just to see how much free memory it shows. Shows 75mb (Android Status was showing ~111mb at the same time)... :/ What's with all the different values?

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Just go with what Android tells you, it's more reliable than a task killer.

As an aside, you don't need a task killer on the later versions of Android and it can actually worsen battery life. I can give you some links explaining why if you like?

3. Dixi1801

Dixi1801 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Rotherham
    think you should give an explanation El P! that way it can be quoted on the 'task killer threads' :D

4. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'll do one better and post a phandroid video:

‪ANDROID PSA: Task Killers - UNINSTALL NOW!!!‬‏ - YouTube

tl:dw version: Android is quite proficient at killing its own tasks when it needs to free up resources. The apps you see "running" in the background, aren't running, they're being held in RAM, ready to be used when/if you need them. If you open a new app which needs more RAM, Android will kill the oldest process to free up the RAM it needs to run the new app.

If you kill the process you see "running" according to the task killer, the OS will just open them again/start replacement processes. This eats up battery life as it causes unneeded CPU usage.

The processes held in RAM will not eat into battery life and will not cause your phone to run slower. If they do, it's because they're badly coded, and nothing to do with the OS. More info can be found here and here's a little more info about Android task management according to google.

landovr likes this.
  5. Marsr

Marsr Member
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Sydney
    I don't actually use task killers. Just got one temporarily to see what free ram it shows. I was just wondering why apps show a different value to what it says in the settings. Android status isn't a task killer, it just shows various stats you might want to see.

6. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No probs, apologies, from what you posted, I thought you were actively using one.

Still stands though, the OS will be the more accurate measure so just go with what that is telling you. No idea on why there are discrepancies, sorry.

7. Marsr

Marsr Member
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Sydney
    No need to apologise, I'm sure others will find it useful :). Also, the sense 3 task manager also shows ~140mb free ram while in running apps it shows 350-400mb usually. So its not just unofficial apps.