• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free navigation app?

I am looking for a new navigation app. I simply have been misled (literally) by Google Maps on several occasions.

In fact, my previous address was "corrected" every time someone tried to find my home office address. Clients ended up at some really nice guy's house and he let them know where I truly can be found.

Other times, Google Maps has not been updated for new roads (new = within the last 12-30 months). I was kind of hoping Bing had a navigation app, but I have yet to find one.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I am not sure I agree with not complaining about a free app, especially when it is touted as one of the best out there. If no one complains, how will the app developer know what to improve or what does not work?

As far as paying, I am fine with that, but do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion as to an excellent navigation app (paid or free)?

Thanks,
edsager

Upvote 0
Some apps are better than others for location ... and are you looking to keep maps on your device so you won't need an active data connection?

You might give CoPilot a look-see.

Good point. IMO Google maps & navigation can't be beat, but of course you need a data connection. For the times you can't tether or are overseas, I've found Sygic to be quite good. I bought their worldwide license when it was on sale, and it's not bad at all.

Upvote 0
Some apps are better than others for location ... and are you looking to keep maps on your device so you won't need an active data connection?

You might give CoPilot a look-see.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look-see.

I am not concerned with active data connection...I just want the one that has--and keeps--the most updated information. I really do not like ending up somewhere far away from my real destination, or worse yet, others ending up at a destination other than me.

Thanks,
edsager

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones