1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Free/Paid? Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by AndroidMan1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. AndroidMan1

AndroidMan1 Member

Hello all,

I have made a 'sound app' that tests speakers and has fun parts to it.
    The screen show bellow shows all the features.

I will be making two versions of the app FREE and PAID.

What i am struggling to decide on is what to make free and what to make people pay for. Would like to hear your opinion on this please :)
    [​IMG]
    High Pitch-Sine,square,saw waves- each with 15 tones at different Hz
    BASS-Sine,square,saw waves- each with 15 tones at different Hz
    SoundGrenade- plays high pitch noise
    Noise-tests 3 different types of noise
    Drums-drum kit(8pads)
    Soundboard-15 fun sounds
    tempo-4 sounds each can be set at different speeds.
    sirens-6 siren sounds, fire, car alarm etc
    Loops-15 looped sounds, can be played together to create songs
    Subwoofer- 5 subwoofer testing tracks
    Stereo- 5 different stereo test sounds
    Morsecode- dot,dash,sos sounds

Thanks, best answer gets PAID version for free.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Well, I'm not sure if the pic is the app in its entirety or not, but you could also add a feature that enables recording your voice, maybe with something that mods how your recorded voice sounds. You could also add a feature that allows you to mix other popular sound formats (mp3, aac, etc) and play them back in the sounboard or something. Then, you could offer the current selections in the pic (maybe with limited choices behind them, with more to be unlocked in the Pro version, along w/ the ability to add their own). Just a thought.

3. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast

Whenever I use a free app I like to see all that paid version offers in some small way. I'd showcase every section you have there but with very few options, tweaks and additions that I'd imagine the full app would have. It allows users to see what you are offering in broad terms without limiting them to deciding on a smaller section of its potential. Essentially you offer what you have but unlock the full features upon paid version.
    Also you could time limit the features of trial version.

4. Cryssie

Cryssie Well-Known Member

When I download a lite-app I like it to be functional in itself. Nothing makes me turn my back on an app quicker then a lite that is completely crippled into an ad for the pro version.
    So you don't want to leave in too much so people don't see the use of the pro version but don't take out too much either because then they don't get to enjoy the app. It is this balance thing.
    I think chordbot did that well. Very functional lite version that is actually usefull and makes me want to buy the pro version to get the extra features.

I would make high pitch, bass and noise free and toss in the sound board. That way people can perform some speaker testing and mess with the sounds and still leave more to discover.

5. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

Sell yourself like everyone else -- pack the free versions with push ads, notification ads, all kinds of annoyances, then make the paid version NO ADS.

6. Shengxin

Shengxin Well-Known Member

If you add ads to your free version, Admob is the most popular one. It is pretty clean, no push and notification ads. Users can only click a displayed ad to actually view the ad then you get paid. Although it generates much less revenue than push or notification ads, I think it is the correct approach to go - not force your customers then you might keep your customers longer.

7. skiiermike

skiiermike Newbie

Will the frequencies be selectable? Meaning, can I select it to play 30khz for example. If so I'll buy it. I've been looking for something like this to test my new speakers.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I find that the free apps with no adds very appealing but that just may be because its ad free so even if its a paid app the option then to have no ads is great.

There's nothing that annoys of more with angry birds those massive banner ads! Throughout the game too!

9. skiiermike

skiiermike Newbie

What I would do...(I buy a lot of apps on my iphone, my Samsung galaxy 10.1 tomorrow)

Make many options free. Make the very niche features like selectable frequencies paid on a separate app. I for one hate in app purchases and refuse to buy them.

I like to consider myself an amateur audiophile and many people like myself will buy an app like this.

10. elusivestars

elusivestars Newbie

From my perspective I like Free Apps to have some value, not just a disabled Paid App, Ad supported is fine as long as it is not totally intrusive.
    I buy a lot of Apps and my decision is typically based on
    - usefulness (obviously)
    - reviews (how many and preferably greater than 4 avg)
    - price