1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Free SMS App for 1.5

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdcoplnd, Sep 3, 2011.

1. jdcoplnd

jdcoplnd Lurker

A friend of mine needs a phone to text with, and I have an HTC Hero on 1.5. It doesn't want to update firmware, so I'm hoping there's a free text/SMS app that works over wi-fi, and not over the network. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Alternatively we could help you get the 2.1 update, if you'd rather have that :)

What's your build number listed as in Settings >> About Phone?

3. jdcoplnd

jdcoplnd Lurker

Build Number
    1.56.651.2 CL85027 release-keys

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

That's a sprint hero then right?

You can download the firmware and install it from your PC from here: Sprint - Software Downloads - Smartphones - HTC Hero with Google

You'll need to install HTC Sync on your PC first, but they have a link to that on the same page.

5. jdcoplnd

jdcoplnd Lurker

I installed sync, but every time I tried to install the firmware, it gave me a USB connection error- but it is connected.

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hmm. The USB connection for firmware updates does have a tendency to be a bit temperamental.

I've copied this thread to the sprint hero section so that some sprint hero users see it and can help you figure it out :)

Also, although it says it on the firmware program, installing this will wipe all of your data from the phone. If you're giving the phone to a friend that's probably not a concern, but we can help you backup the data if you want.

7. jdcoplnd

jdcoplnd Lurker

I already cleared the data, thanks for moving this.

8. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert

Thread moved to the troubleshooting section. Sometimes a USB connection error can be fixed if you go into device manager and find the driver for your handset and uninstall it and reinstall it.

You should also try uninstalling HTC Sync and then reinstalling that as well. Xyro is right about the USB connection being temperamental, but usually a combination of some of the things we have both suggested will remedy the issue.

Xyro likes this.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews