• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help free space showing wrong

Ok i will give that a go thanks a lot. When you say restore minimum data back u mean install neatrom again and then restore my nandroid? But if i were to do that wouldnt it just overwrite my new install and give me the same data back with the same issue? As i am assuming a restore would restore everything including the file system?

edit:-

rebooted into recovery to make a nandroid backup and it says sd card free space 5947 Mb which sounds about right according to my calculations. So that means plilz touch is getting the correct reading of free space its just android thats getting it wrong.

Nah by minim data I mean sd data. Sure put all your photos, videos music back but things like cwm backups and downloads folder... you don't need to put it all back

Upvote 0
my videos/pictures are setup to go to my sd card automatically they would not come to internal memory. The DCIM\camera folder is empty in the thumbnails folder i have this 1 big file which takes 3.8gb

@SU any idea what file that is thats taking 3.8gb? i googled it and it says its a temp file for thumbnails and its safe to delete but the last time i deleted it i didnt get the space back.

Upvote 0
ok just connected it to my pc and surprised windows recognized the phone in mtp mode so copying the internal memory to pc right now then will format it. Can i just remove the external sd and do it? Or do i have to format the sd card? As i recently did this to solve another issue i was having.

one question if i do a factory reset will i loose siyah kernel and my dual boot?

Upvote 0
i cant copy half the data on the internal memory as android wont let me copy it for example the 3.8gb file that is present in the thumbnails folder i cant even see it when i connect my phone to the pc. So i cant copy it onto the pc. Also even if i do a factory reset and copy data back and then do a nandroid restore wont it automatically bring that file back to the internal memory?

Upvote 0
any file or folder that starts with a . is linux speak for hidden. That means you must also enable hidden files in Windows explorer if you wish to see them

That file is on sdcard which isn't included in nandroid backups.

Your dual boot rom is on sdcard so you will copy that back after the reset and the nandroid restore will restore all your settings.

Factory reset wont change your rom or kernel.

Upvote 0
the file that is 3.8gb is on my internal memory not on the external memory card. There is a similar file on the external card but that is only 3.8mb not gb. Also the dual boot information is also on the internal memory i can see a file called .secondrom. So if i format the internal memory all these files will go and when i restore the nandroid backup wont all these files come back again?

Upvote 0
When I say sdcard, i mean mnt/sdcard, which is the internal memory. It is actually /data/media

/data/media or mnt/sdcard are not in Nandroid backups, which is why I said you have to back it up to pc.

When you connect to PC in MTP mode, you should see /sdcard and /extSdCard. Its the /sdcard we're talking about here - so yes, I know we're talking about the file on internal memory.

Upvote 0
ok cool so i am backing up all the data to my pc and then will reset the phone and see. I dont need to backup the DCIM folder all my pictures are backed up in dropbox automatically. Will take a manual backup of the .secondrom folder. I already have hidden files viewable and i didnt see the thumbnail file of 3.8gb on my pc. The thumbnails folder shows as blank.

Upvote 0
ok the nandroid backup i have is refusing to restore every time i try i get MD5 Mismatch! I did a factory reset from backup and reset in settings. Any ideas why the nandroid backup is giving me MD5 mismatch?

edit:-

I have manually gone into the recovery and formatted the sd card and did all the wipes now booting back into neatrom will try restoring the .secondrom and clockworkmod folders and see if that solves the issue of MD5. Fingers crossed.

edit again :-

no luck still getting MD5 Mismatch and my secondrom is also dead cant boot stuck on boot screen does not go further.

Upvote 0
yup you can dual boot the s3 if you have siyah kernel. I currently have neatrom as my 1st rom and omega as my second rom. When the phone boots it shows you a screen for siyah kernel and gives u 3 seconds to either press vol down or menu to boot the second rom otherwise it will auto boot the 1st. Booting takes the same amount of time as it always does.

link for explanation and steps for dual boot

http://www.cursed4eva.com/dual-boot-galaxy-s3/

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
no i found an article on xda mentioned below

Hi recently i read thread about fix MD5 mismatch error but it uses terminal and some lines which sometimes result in errors and are difficult to remember all steps also so i after my research i found this that we DON'T NEED terminal emulator or something to fix it. we can fix it in just 20 seconds. HOW ? read below >

1. Go to backup folder of clockworkmod

2. Rename backup folder to the name you want for example XYZ

Note: dont add space between names.

3. open that folder and open this file nandroid.md5 with any text editor, i use DB text editor which comes with OI file manager
4. delete everything from it except boot.img and recovery.img line.

i did that but it still didnt work so i just edited the md5 file and deleted all the information and made it blank and then it restored fine.

Upvote 0
ya i know that but i know the backup was fine it was the correct size so decided to give it a go. Well to add a new twist on things the 3.8gb file is back again and now when u total up the space used and add it to the free space it adds up to more than 11.25gb lol. I dunno what is up with this phone.

Attachments

• 2013-01-23 18.17.33.png
    2013-01-23 18.17.33.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
yup you can dual boot the s3 if you have siyah kernel. I currently have neatrom as my 1st rom and omega as my second rom. When the phone boots it shows you a screen for siyah kernel and gives u 3 seconds to either press vol down or menu to boot the second rom otherwise it will auto boot the 1st. Booting takes the same amount of time as it always does.

link for explanation and steps for dual boot

http://www.cursed4eva.com/dual-boot-galaxy-s3/

Nice to know. Thanks man. i use siyah :)
I take it MD5 is a checksum?
Im guilty of not checkin them *slaps hand* :)

Upvote 0
yup MD5 is a checksum i dunno why it gave me an error never had this issue before with android. So now you can run NeatRom and try out a AOSP style rom also.

Thats exactly what im gona do mate cheers :)
Im sure ive seen an app that checks checksums for u.
No idea what it was called mind you.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones