• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Free Tethering on ICS

spew101

Oct 13, 2011
So I updated to ICS, did an FDR and root-ed the phone again. Things are ok so far, still hoping battery life improves.

I used to use Wifi Tether on GB, but it doesnt seem to work now with ICS. It looks like its working, my computer connects to the wifi network the phone is putting out, but there is no internet. Some people said to try Foxfi, but I couldnt get that to work either. I still have SQL lite and have the "entitlement_check" set to "0".

Please help.

Wow... I don't know what to tell you... I ran foxfi one night and it worked fine on ics.

P.S. If you're grandfathered into unlimited, You can get unlimited hotspot for 30 bucks a month. I don't know how long Verizon will keep that going, I just added the feature to my account yesterday. :)

I did not know that they had redone the unlimited hotspot feature. When I bought my tablet, my local VZW store told me that I had to get a limited hotspot feature even though I was grandfathered into unlimited data.

I'll have to look into this - if this is true, I'm about to start spending $30 more of my hard earned money per month :D

I'll also look into the WiFi Tether beta, but FoxFi has been working fine for me since .238, and I use it regularly with my Asus Infinity - just used it for most of the day today, in fact.

Upvote 0
I use OpenGarden WiFi Tether and it hasn't let me down yet. Might nag u and say it needs to start and download the Open Garden files on PC but i hit Cancel and tap Start Tethering and works flawlessly, using right now. Haven't found or heard of better, tried FoxFi but OpenGarden seemed to be the easiest so far.

You guys might want to check out this one.. if you are going up to JB..

[App-Mod/Source] WifiTether for JB TouchWiz Roms
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34037922&postcount=1

Upvote 0
I just did RSDLite update to ICS stock image since the OTA just wouldn't take after about 4 tries and various tweaks (unroot, delete safestrap, edit logwrapper, etc) all apps and everything restored fine from google account. And foxfi (w/ paid key) restored and is working fine. didnt do a factory data reset either...

Also native USB tethering seems to be working for free... not sure if its and ICS/VZW bug, or what... or if its just free for a short period of time... but its really fast... however USB tethering on my windows 7 machine is buggy...; it works fine, except windows doesn't think its connected... weird.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones