1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Free texting to Australia

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by pacbro, Sep 6, 2011.

1. pacbro

pacbro Newbie
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Ok, so I live in the USA, but have quite a few friends living in Australia and a couple other parts of the world. I already use my regular texting for people in the United States, and I've been using textplus for all those friends of mine in Canada.
    However, for some reason, textplus doesn't work to Australia, on a phone without the textplus app.
    So back to square one. Is there any application I can download that would allow me to text Australia using my data plan, without an extra charge of international texting to my friends over there?

Advertisement

2. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Yep - it's called Viber. VOIP but it allows you to text as well. If you all have it loaded on. The beauty of it is you do not need an account IDs or anything etc. You just load it on, verify via sms and use it. It searches your contact list for those who have Viber installed also and gives that list to call or text. No sign up, no giving your email to yet another company to target you with. All free over data plan.

(I am also in Oz BTW!!)

3. pacbro

pacbro Newbie
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Ahhhh. See now we face a new problem. She doesn't have an Android phone. Instead, she has a Blackberry.
    This may complicate matters, but I'd still like to text her if at all possible.
    This said, I don't mind signing up for accounts, or getting emails. Its all quite manageable on my Samsung Infuse.

4. thatperson

thatperson Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    Corry, Pa
    Whatsapp is another app that use can use and it's also available for blackberry.

5. pacbro

pacbro Newbie
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Is there an app that lets me text directly to my friends phone itself, without the need for her to download an app on her phone? Or is app to app the only way to do it?

6. hkwildboy

hkwildboy Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    No, all require a common client (be it Viber, whatsapp, and many others) between the sender and receiver, because the msg is sent/receive through internet.

7. pacbro

pacbro Newbie
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    That's curious though. Textplus allows me to send texts straight to another's phone. I can use it to text my friends in Canada, as it doesn't cost them money, and it goes through the internet.

8. thatperson

thatperson Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    Corry, Pa
    I could be wrong, but try using Google Voice to text your friend. It will send right to their phone and it doesn't require them to download it. It has free text, just can't do pic texts is all.

9. pacbro

pacbro Newbie
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    I'll look into it! As long as she can text back without being charged for an international text, this would be perfect.

10. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    There are also many web pages that can text to mobile numbers. Eg. I use 'VOIPBuster' (www.voipbuster.com) based in Europe but there are many names for the same service. Although they have mobile apps it does require that both of you have it installed. However once you have your own account; on android browser you can log in and send SMS from the browser. Registering your mobile simply means you verify that you own the number, but when you send from the browser it 'appears' the SMS is coming from your mobile #. When you log into your account you can even schedule to send an SMS on a future date and time. The ricipent only needs a valid number. There does cost a few euro cents per message. Not entirely free but close to?!

11. hkwildboy

hkwildboy Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    Textplus allows texting to any phone in US and Canada only.
    For all other countries/regions, it requires both parties to install Textplus for mutual texting (over wifi)

Also, Textplus assigns a new phone number different from your own phone number.
    Viber and whatsapp use your same old mobile number as your account. (This is a BIG plus!!!)

12. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Kik Messenger may work, however your overseas friends will have to have an Android or Iphone and have the app.