• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free Trial - Premium Navigation

What do you all think?
Do you think Tom Tom will ever arrive or not?

I don't know whether I need it now anyway 'cos after wading through the various mapp apps already installed I stumbled upon the premium side of the HTC Locations app.

There is a free 30 day trial included and I have to say it's pretty good. The GPS does take a while to hook up sometimes, but otherwise the turn prompts and associated signage is perfect so far. Even tells you when you are speeding (apparently...lol). To cap it all, the free & female irish voice I have downloaded is well sexy...! I think the English female is too "clipped" if you know what I mean.

You also have the usual options to pay for three levels of service...a one off payment forever (

I just don't understand why anyone would pay for the HTC LOCATION navigation when all our phones have Googlemaps navigation? Seems bizarre to me that HTC would offer something for a fee that is already included on the phone fot free.

The ONLY benefit to HTC locations navigation is that the maps are actually loaded on the SD card so no data is required, but the tiny amount of data that's needed with Googlemaps navigation is hardly a big issue.

Upvote 0
For people who don't have a data plan perhaps? ;)

Anybody buying a smartphone without a data plan needs to take a serious look at themselves. It's a bit like buying a car but not having money for fuel.

Almost every contract on a smartphone will come with data...sim free owners will more than likely be bringing their own sim/contract that has a data allowance.....and the very very tiny minority that's left will not take long to realise you cannot run a smartphone without access to data.

Hence why I simply don't understand why anyone would pay for HTC LOCATION when they can get the same free, especially when its already on the phone and takes no effort.

Upvote 0
To be perfectly honest, you don't need a data plan... If you live in the city you can happily hop around between wifi hotspots all day.

I've checked the app out and it seems seamless and quite nice.

Absolutely no chance you could drive around on a trip and hope to pick up free WiFi at every turn, just wouldn't happen in the real world

Upvote 0
Hence why I simply don't understand why anyone would pay for HTC LOCATION when they can get the same free, especially when its already on the phone and takes no effort.

You don't travel abroad much, do you? Try navigating with Google Maps in Borneo for two weeks and you'll have to sell your house to pay for the data fees. Even navigating in another EU country can be pretty expensive.

For those of us who travel a lot, the HTC Locations is excellent. In fact it was one of the reasons why I chose to buy an HTC phone.

Believe me, you don't even want to know, how much it costs to use mobile data services in Africa or Far East Asia, for example. Your UK data plan is worthless out there. Also quite often there's no mobile network coverage or data services available, making Google Maps 100% useless.

Just to add: Scandinavian users just got a free Locations navigation licence for all Nordic countries. A very nice bonus from HTC.

Upvote 0
I currently use copilot on my DHD and was going to swap it over to my sensation, but after issues with copilot I am considering using buiult in locations. One thing I have noticed is, that my sensation does not have car panel on it, yet my DHD does. If I connect my sensation to the cable that came with the DHD htc car kit, it loads up htc locations navigation straight away, and due to using the app on my DHD, and having both phones linked to the same google account, I am not able to use the trial. So every time i connect the sensation in the car, I get the screen to ask me to sync or buy the app. My sensation is from three, so maybe it has had car panel removed or maybe it is not there at all.

Upvote 0
My sensation is from three, so maybe it has had car panel removed or maybe it is not there at all.

It seems that Sense 3.0 has some compatibility issues with car panel and that's why it's not pre-installed on the Sensation. However, you can download and install the car panel apk, if you wish to try it. Just google for "htc sensation car panel" and follow the first few links. Take some time reading the user comments about possible problems before installing the car panel. Xda developers forum is always a good source of info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones