1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Free VoIP Calling Using Google Voice + Sipdroid

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lexluthor, Jan 6, 2011.

1. egX

egX Member

Feb 7, 2011
    If I could kiss you I would!!!!!!

Got it to work from Canada thanks so much !!!

Advertisement

2. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Okay so I am new to figuring out my phone and figured out how to get into settings and now its telling me it cant connect to my xxxxx@pbxes.com account and is unable to log in. I set my connection to 3g thats what my phone uses. Any idea why its not able to log in?

3. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I diod everything exactly as you said. see my above comment too see what its not working. I have no idea why its not.

4. MsVi

MsVi New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    USA
    Well I can grasp pretty much the whole write up but one part that seems it should be easy but I'm stumped on. I've had google voice for ages now but I can't see where my google chat (inside gmail when I log on via firefox) phone number is different. They are the same. I called my cell phone via google chat and the caller id says the same number as my google voice. So I proceeded to put that number in the forward section of my google voice and like I guessed it said...um no you can't do that.

So my hang up now is how can I find/change my google chat number to be different that my google voice so I can forward it and move on with the rest of this? I'm usually pretty savvy with this stuff so I'm irritated with myself for not being able to figure this out. Thanks in advance for any help =)

5. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Now it says registration failed. Even though I am registered correctly and even logged in on my pbxesorg account on the website. Sorry for the 3 posts in a row. I am just having a major headache with this.

6. immi79

immi79 Member

Feb 2, 2011
    can i use GV or this whole setup if m not in US?

7. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I dont see why not.

8. MsVi

MsVi New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    USA
    Well on my Sprint Galaxy Tab, bought and used in the US, I got it all up and running! I'm not sure what I did to make the forward option for google chat to show up on my list of options in google voice...lol but it's showed up and it's working like a charm! Phone service was the one thing that keeping the tab from being perfect in my eyes =) Thanks to the OP for getting this up for us! I completely <3 you! :p

9. immi79

immi79 Member

Feb 2, 2011
    ok i have set it up all and now when i call my GV number , i recieve it on my my fone on sipdroid and can see call histry on my GV account. now my question is, is it possible to make free calls using sipdriod coz when i make any call, it says cannot connect ur call please try again, so is it possible to make free calls , if yes, how can i make them ?

10. immi79

immi79 Member

Feb 2, 2011
    any help guyz?

11. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I finally got it to work. I just got my phone so I didnt know there was a settings button on my phone. Anyways I have a samsung intercept ive used csipsimple and sipdroid and they both go through my rear speaker for speaker phone. Are there any sipphones that dont go through the rear speaker on my phone?

12. paulhusker

paulhusker Active Member

May 5, 2010
    OK, I have turned the phone to Airplane mode & turned the WiFi on to make a successful call via Sipdroid & Google Voice. (I called a friend's phone & my Google Voice # showed on his Caller ID.) My next question is how can I get my phone to ring when someone calls my Google Voice # when it's in Airplane Mode & Wifi on? I've tried dialing my GV # several times when it's set up that way but it just goes to my Google Voice Mail. I'm guessing there's a setting I need to fix. Thanks for your help!

13. lady3jane

lady3jane Active Member

Dec 11, 2009
    i have a samsung fascinate on verizon. i already have GV set up but never used it.

i cannot get this to work.

i am to use the sipdroid to dial out, correct?
    i put in a number (it pulls up my contacts) but then tells me it's not a valid number. so i added a 1 before the area code (it's a local number) and then it's just silence. no ringing or anything, just acting like it's an open call.

so i took away the area code and 1 and just dialed the number and then it just hangs up right away.

i have both my cell # and gchat as forwarding for the GV#.

any ideas?

14. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I finally got this working and it works flawlessy. Here are the steps.

1. Create or already have a google voice account.

2. Download sipdroid latest verion.

3. Register your pbxes account with sipdroid. It's built in and pbxes adds gv as a trunk and gives you voip. If you want to manually enter your sip info it. Do this

Open sipdroid and hit the settings button on your phone.
    Go into the first sip box and enter your sip info.
    Username yourname-200
    your pbxes pw
    server pbxes.org
    domain leave empty
    username caller id leave empty
    port 5060
    protocol tcp
    Check whatever internet options you want to use. I have them all checked.

4. Make a call it should work.

Only problem I am having is getting calls I think i have to go into my pbxes account and add an inbound service. Anyone know exactly how to do that with GV?

15. StillHacking

StillHacking Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Field Engineer
    Pittsburgh

THIS was what I was missing. Once google chat was checked for forwarding I could finally receive calls. Thank you all for the input. Yes send and receive calls even in airplane mode. I love it!!!

paulhusker likes this.
  16. paulhusker

paulhusker Active Member

May 5, 2010
    Bingo! This answers the question I had on my previous post. Went into my Google Voice page..hit 'Settings' on the top right of the page...selected 'Voice Settings'..then checkmarked the previously unchecked box next to 'Google Chat'. I placed a call from a landline to my Google Voice # and the call went thru on my phone. Like you said--now I can both receive incoming calls to my GV# & make outgoing calls in Airplane Mode over WiFi!

For some reason (& I'm not complaining), the caller ID does not pull from my contacts stored in the phone. The number I called from to my GV# was my work # which is stored in my cell. It just showed the actual # w/ a 1 in front of it. I'm not worried since I can recognize most #'s that call me w/out the name showing.

17. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    The instructions to enable google chat were in my original post.

If that was unclear, please suggest how to edit it and I'll be happy to do so if it can help others.

StillHacking likes this.
  18. StillHacking

StillHacking Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Field Engineer
    Pittsburgh
    Lexluthor,

Your original quote,

You might need to go into google voice->voice settings->phones and make sure you have a google chat account there and that it's enabled for forwarding.

Maybe I'm a little slow but for some reason this did not sink in. I guess I thought I HAD to forward to my cell number only.

Maybe you should have said, "IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE CALLS TOO, YOU MUST HAVE GOOGLE CHAT ENABLED." Sometimes I only respond to bold and or yelling. Thanks again for the great information!!!

StillHacking

19. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Ok, I updated the OP.

StillHacking and paulhusker like this.
  20. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I am not able to recieve calls but I didnt have my google chat enabled in GV. Should it work now? Also do I need to download the official GV app and if so how do I set that up?

21. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Okay I think I am able to recieve calls now just had to have google chat checked in GV.

22. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I have done all of the steps correctly and it still has never worked... Time to get an iPhone :/

(ok that part about the iphone was a joke... But still, it refuses to work for me)

23. derek2079

derek2079 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Did you follow my steps?

24. JonIndie

JonIndie Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    KY
    I have the original setup the OP was talking about.. but apparently it's much simpler now.

My question however is this.. with the new configs.. is there anyway to make it so the calls come through your actual headset.. or bluetooth.. and not through the phone speaker.. so it's not like you are always on speaker phone?

also.. if anyone had the old setup. How is the lag between talking now? with my current setup there is about a 5 second lag on 3g.. and about a 1.5s lag on wifi.. also the caller hears themself echoing with a lag. Did this get fixed?

25. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Of course I did. I have followed every steps in every post in here. It just won't work for me :/