• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free VoIP Calling Using Google Voice + Sipdroid

You'll have to go through the "Lost Password" procedure at pbxes.org to get your login information.

Your pbxes.org user name and password will be for the following:

Sipdroid --> Menu -->Settings --> SIP Account (First one):
Authorization Username: {your pbxes.org user name}
Password: {your pbxes.org password}
Domain: {Don't change}
Username or Caller ID: {your extension name, usually pbxes.org username + ext number, ie PSKeptic-200)
Place a tick in "Use 3G" and "Use EDGE" (WARNING: This will cause phone call time to be applied to your data usage, NOT minutes)

You should be all set.

I diod everything exactly as you said. see my above comment too see what its not working. I have no idea why its not.

Upvote 0
Well I can grasp pretty much the whole write up but one part that seems it should be easy but I'm stumped on. I've had google voice for ages now but I can't see where my google chat (inside gmail when I log on via firefox) phone number is different. They are the same. I called my cell phone via google chat and the caller id says the same number as my google voice. So I proceeded to put that number in the forward section of my google voice and like I guessed it said...um no you can't do that.

So my hang up now is how can I find/change my google chat number to be different that my google voice so I can forward it and move on with the rest of this? I'm usually pretty savvy with this stuff so I'm irritated with myself for not being able to figure this out. Thanks in advance for any help =)

Upvote 0
Well on my Sprint Galaxy Tab, bought and used in the US, I got it all up and running! I'm not sure what I did to make the forward option for google chat to show up on my list of options in google voice...lol but it's showed up and it's working like a charm! Phone service was the one thing that keeping the tab from being perfect in my eyes =) Thanks to the OP for getting this up for us! I completely <3 you! :p

Upvote 0
ok i have set it up all and now when i call my GV number , i recieve it on my my fone on sipdroid and can see call histry on my GV account. now my question is, is it possible to make free calls using sipdriod coz when i make any call, it says cannot connect ur call please try again, so is it possible to make free calls , if yes, how can i make them ?

Upvote 0
From what I have gathered, it is possible to forward your cell number to GV (which will in turn forward to all phones - including your cell), but it is not advised. The ring would be very long and it would be like 9 rings before you even hear it or something along those lines. There are other problems I have read about, such as problems where SMS or text messages never make it through the forwarding process. (Might want to read through this as well before you try it: Top 10 Reasons NOT to forward a phone TO Google Voice - Google Voice Help ) You might take this opportunity to just start gradually shifting everyone you know over to your GV number so everyone starts calling it instead, and you can make sure GV always forwards to your cell/etc other numbers in the future (this is the route I am working on taking). Also, there IS a way to port your current cell number over to become your new GV number. If you do that, you will be able to set up GV to forward to all your phones and everyone can call your regular number. Of course, I have heard that if you port your number from an active verizon acct it can cancel your contract and leave you with an early termination fee (if that applies).

About the WiFi calling: As long as you are using a VOIP connection going over WiFi it will be as if you are still in the states (but don't have cell service). You can test this out by going on your phone and setting it to "Airplane Mode". After that, go turn on WiFi connection and make a call. You will see that Airplane mode stays enabled even if you just turn on WiFi. This way you have completely turned off your cell service and you can ensure that you are making a call via WiFi connection instead of 3G or over your cell service. When you have your cell service turned off, you can do the test as if you are in a different country without cell service. All you will need is a WiFi connection. Don't worry about GPS, the phone will not check your GPS to ensure you are in the states. To put this short, there are not any extra steps when you are out of the country (as far as I know), and it should work fine. I will say that I have never made a WiFi call out of the states but I have read many posts about VOIP on Android and I have come to this conclusion.

OK, I have turned the phone to Airplane mode & turned the WiFi on to make a successful call via Sipdroid & Google Voice. (I called a friend's phone & my Google Voice # showed on his Caller ID.) My next question is how can I get my phone to ring when someone calls my Google Voice # when it's in Airplane Mode & Wifi on? I've tried dialing my GV # several times when it's set up that way but it just goes to my Google Voice Mail. I'm guessing there's a setting I need to fix. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
i have a samsung fascinate on verizon. i already have GV set up but never used it.

i cannot get this to work.

i am to use the sipdroid to dial out, correct?
i put in a number (it pulls up my contacts) but then tells me it's not a valid number. so i added a 1 before the area code (it's a local number) and then it's just silence. no ringing or anything, just acting like it's an open call.

so i took away the area code and 1 and just dialed the number and then it just hangs up right away.

i have both my cell # and gchat as forwarding for the GV#.

any ideas?

Upvote 0
I finally got this working and it works flawlessy. Here are the steps.

1. Create or already have a google voice account.

2. Download sipdroid latest verion.

3. Register your pbxes account with sipdroid. It's built in and pbxes adds gv as a trunk and gives you voip. If you want to manually enter your sip info it. Do this

Open sipdroid and hit the settings button on your phone.
Go into the first sip box and enter your sip info.
Username yourname-200
your pbxes pw
server pbxes.org
domain leave empty
username caller id leave empty
port 5060
protocol tcp
Check whatever internet options you want to use. I have them all checked.

4. Make a call it should work.

Only problem I am having is getting calls I think i have to go into my pbxes account and add an inbound service. Anyone know exactly how to do that with GV?

Upvote 0
Tried and tested = works like a charm.

Installed it just last night on a Galaxy S running Froyo 2.2.1 (rooted, not like it matters) with sipdroid 2.0.1 beta. Has the PBX button at the bottom for making setup a breeze. To enable incoming calls, in your google voice settings you need to forward calls to your google chat (ie google account email address). I can receive and make calls and txt and transcribed voice mail txt using only my data plan via both 3G or Wifi as I have a data only plan/ sim with talk time disabled.

THIS was what I was missing. Once google chat was checked for forwarding I could finally receive calls. Thank you all for the input. Yes send and receive calls even in airplane mode. I love it!!!

Reactions: paulhusker
Upvote 0
THIS was what I was missing. Once google chat was checked for forwarding I could finally receive calls. Thank you all for the input. Yes send and receive calls even in airplane mode. I love it!!!

Bingo! This answers the question I had on my previous post. Went into my Google Voice page..hit 'Settings' on the top right of the page...selected 'Voice Settings'..then checkmarked the previously unchecked box next to 'Google Chat'. I placed a call from a landline to my Google Voice # and the call went thru on my phone. Like you said--now I can both receive incoming calls to my GV# & make outgoing calls in Airplane Mode over WiFi!

For some reason (& I'm not complaining), the caller ID does not pull from my contacts stored in the phone. The number I called from to my GV# was my work # which is stored in my cell. It just showed the actual # w/ a 1 in front of it. I'm not worried since I can recognize most #'s that call me w/out the name showing.

Upvote 0
Lexluthor,

Your original quote,

You might need to go into google voice->voice settings->phones and make sure you have a google chat account there and that it's enabled for forwarding.

Maybe I'm a little slow but for some reason this did not sink in. I guess I thought I HAD to forward to my cell number only.

Maybe you should have said, "IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE CALLS TOO, YOU MUST HAVE GOOGLE CHAT ENABLED." Sometimes I only respond to bold and or yelling. Thanks again for the great information!!!

StillHacking

Upvote 0
I have the original setup the OP was talking about.. but apparently it's much simpler now.

My question however is this.. with the new configs.. is there anyway to make it so the calls come through your actual headset.. or bluetooth.. and not through the phone speaker.. so it's not like you are always on speaker phone?

also.. if anyone had the old setup. How is the lag between talking now? with my current setup there is about a 5 second lag on 3g.. and about a 1.5s lag on wifi.. also the caller hears themself echoing with a lag. Did this get fixed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones