1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

free wifi Android Theder

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JPol, Jan 3, 2014.

1. JPol

JPol Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    I have HTC Evo rooted and use a free wifi frequently. Have a question about possible use:

1. When I am in Europe my Sprint phone will not have connection but could I use wifi on the phone as a hotspot.
    2. could I just use Scype while in Europe using phone's wifi theder even if the phone is not active there.

Probably too good to be true, but if you don't ask, you will definitely not receive.

Thanks,
    JP:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

Advertisement

2. davidp799

davidp799 Member
    None

Nov 5, 2013
    Male
    New Jersey
    Hi JPol, I have never come across an app to do exactly this, but there are applications to use your phones WiFi connection on a laptop, desktop or even other android devices. All that is required is a USB Data Cable, your phone, and a quick installation on your computer. Go to the Google PlayStore (Android Market) on your device and search for Easytether. Click on either "Easytether Lite" or "Easytether Full" by Mobile Stream. Install the application of your choice, and follow the onscreen instructions when you open it. Eventually, it will ask you if you would like to download some software to your phone so you can put it on your computer; make sure you do. It will take you to a website to download the software drivers. Choose the right driver for your computer, let it download and go back to the Easytether application. Plug your phone into your computer with your USB Data Cable, open "My Computer", and wait for your phone to appear. Once it does, click on it and locate the Downloads folder. Inside, you will find an application named easytether.exe. Install that, and if it asks you if you want to install the drivers, click yes. After the installation, unplug your phone from the computer, and go back to your phone. Follow the instructions from there. If you have already done some of them, that's fine. If you have any questions about this, don't be afraid to ask!
    -Best of Luck,
    David

JPol likes this.
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    As far as Skype goes, I use it on my phone with a wifi connection with no problem (other than holding the phone still if we're using video). It even worked on my old Samsung Precedent (with no video - that would be pushing that phone too hard) for text and voice.

JPol likes this.
  4. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    I think you have this the wrong way round...

'Using the wifi on your phone as a hotspot' typically means using your phone as a hotspot for other devices. They will connect to your phone using wifi and send the data over the sprint network to the internet.. unless you have some awesome roaming plan your REALLY DO NOT want to do this as you'll be charged a huge amount of cash.

On the other hand, you could use the wifi on your phone to connect to someone else's wifi. Either in a hotel/home or a commercial wifi hotspot. In the case of a commercial wifi setup, you may have to pay for access before you're connected.

2) if you have a wifi connection then skype will probably work for you. As you're sending data over the wifi network and not the mobile one, this shouldn't be a problem.

funkylogik and JPol like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    You'll be able to use free(sometimes paid) WiFi in Europe, just the same as you do in your home country. You're not using the phone as a WiFi hotspot, because it's already connected to a WiFi hotspot, like at the hotel or Starbucks or whatever. You won't have data when you're not connected to WiFi, not unless you're roaming. Best not to do that anyway, otherwise it could become extremely expensive. And you'll have one hell of a bill when you return home.

EDIT:

I just noticed "Sprint phone". That's a CDMA carrier, in which case ignore anything I said about roaming. It's only going to work on WiFi, there's no CDMA in Europe.

Skype will work just fine on WiFi in Europe. When there's no WiFi, Skype won't work of course. I visited the UK last summer for a few weeks, didn't even think of roaming. Just used WiFi, and bought a UK pre-paid SIM for when I wanted to make phone calls.

funkylogik and JPol like this.
  6. davidp799

davidp799 Member
    None

Nov 5, 2013
    Male
    New Jersey
    You meant that you wanted to take your WiFi connection from your cellphone and use that on another device, right? Or did I misunderstand your question?