• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Free Wifi tethering for Gingerbread not working, Inspire 4G

I would suggest rooting your phone, you could either choose to go back to a froyo rom or all the updated gingerbread's have the portable wi-fi hotspot working. Then you can enjoy your hotspot like you always did. I'm running Cyanogen Mod 7, on Android 2.3.5 and loving my hotspot. All you would need is Ace Hack Kit version 12.3 (There is a newer version available but I have heard of some issues with it) 12.3 is what I use and it is very reliable! I should note as well any version before 12.3 will NOT break the Gingerbread update where as 12.3 will.

Reactions: vince_ross
Upvote 0
All:

I have found a way to surpass the deactivation of the HotSpot without to downgrade or root the phone. I have tried it many times and it works. I found it by getting angry and activating and deactivating many things.

Follow this procedure and try to make it exactly, otherwise, doesn't work.

1. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks.
2. Enable Airplane Mode.
3. Keep it that way around 10 seconds.
4. Disable Airplane Mode.
5. You will see that the phone signal turns a little "x" at a side.
6. As soon as the "H" appears, inmediately turn the "Wi-Fi hotspot".
7. After some seconds, you will receive the messages saying that you have to contact AT&T to enable tethering.
8. Click OK as soon as it appears.
9. Re-enable inmediately the Wi-Fi Hotspot.
10. That's it. It will keep enabled.

This only works for the HotSpot, but I think is better to have one than nothing.
Not working for me :(
On step 8, when you say "as soon as it appears", does it has to be that fast? On that point my phone gets sort of laggy so I cant click Ok "as soon as it appears".

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is a ISP/router issue or if it's my phone. Since I have wifi in my home I use it to access the internet, chat, text, etc. When I first started using the phone in my home I could access all these services in my bedroom (on the second floor) very easily. There were plenty of WIFI bars and the phone did not disconnect from it at all. Now I cannot get any connection on my phone in my bedroom and the bars go down to barely 1 in the room next to the one with the router in it.
Can anyone help me out here? Or is it something I need to contact my ISP about? The router I am using is one they provided. It is a DSL connection that up until this point has been excellent.
Thanks!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones