• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Free wifi?

Montuhotep

Sep 14, 2010
I bought a palm pre plus for the 5 free gigs of wifi, and I also have the Droid X. I actually use them both for business. The problem is, the Palm SUCKS. I'm interested in getting a froyo tablet, like the Galaxy, or another Android phone. My Droid X is not rooted, but I'm considering also buying another phone to replace the Palm, except I NEED portable wifi. Does rooting a phone allow me to have free wifi? Or does a froyo tablet have the capability to be rooted? And become its own wifi hotspot? Help!

The short answer...WiFi in and of itself is free. The WiFi HotSpot feature of the Drid X is not free and incurs an additional $20 a month charge from Verizon in order to use it out of the box.

Is there a way to use this functionality without the incurred cost? Yes, but you have to root your Droid X, which in turn voids the warranty if anything goes sideways and the device becomes "bricked".

Upvote 0
The short answer...WiFi in and of itself is free. The WiFi HotSpot feature of the Drid X is not free and incurs an additional $20 a month charge from Verizon in order to use it out of the box.

Is there a way to use this functionality without the incurred cost? Yes, but you have to root your Droid X, which in turn voids the warranty if anything goes sideways and the device becomes "bricked".

I don't plan on rooting my Droid X. What I'm interested in doing is buying another Verizon android device and rooting that one. Like maybe the Fascinate, and getting the Droid 2 for free, then rooting one of those. I'm not worried about the warranty. Just need a different phone than the Palm, and I need unlimited wifi for free. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones