1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support freeing space

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Anamacha, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Anamacha

Anamacha Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    freelance Graphic Designer
    Austin, TX
    A few moths after getting my LG Optimus V, I notice that it has a mere 200MB internal memory.

I'm wondering how much of that space is taken up with failed downloads and suchlike.

I'm still concerned about rooting my phone -- I don't have an extra $150 to replace the phone should I happen to brick it -- so I guess I'm wondering if there was a file manager that will allow me to clear off download folders and whatnot.

Anyone?

Advertisement

2. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    You can go into \data\tombstones and delete the files in there. I am unsure if you'll have access to it without root though.

Anamacha likes this.
  3. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    These things are very hard to brick if you use common sence and follow ALL of the directions. there isn't much you can do to help space wise unless your rooted or you want to uninstall a bunch of apps.

Anamacha likes this.
  4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    If the files are in the SD card there typically going to be --xrwxr-x This permission gives the Group(which you are a part of as the non rooted owner of the phone)read,write,and exacute permission. This means you can manipulate the files in any manner you choose. The system files are typically going to be rwxand any combination of read,and or exacute. This permission only allows the owner of the file the ability to change or delete them(this is not you). When you root your phone it allows you root access to your system files, to sign in with super user privlages temporarily to change read only files to read and write(meaning you can add to, or move ,or delete said files). As you can imagine you can do some serious damage to your phone. If on the other hand you have a custom recovery(xionia recovery is the best for the "V") that will allow you to make a total backup of your system and keep it in the SD card, then if you accidentally delete a system app or file,just go to recovery and restore the system to exactly the way it was before your boo boo. If you root your phone it will void the warranty. If you still want to root your phone to get rid of the Bloatware(Virgin Mobile pre-installed apps), and move more apps to the SD card, then go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...ide-rooting-without-computer.html#post2985787 and for a list of the Bloatware that you can remove go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-list-bloatware-lg-optimus-v.html#post2494348

Anamacha likes this.
  5. Anamacha

None

Apr 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    yeah I was wondering if there was a file manager that would allow me to get into the files on the phone itself, not just the ones on the SD card. Card's not the problem; I got a 4GB card and it's not even 25% full yet.

I noticed that one of you linked instructions on how to root without a computer. Is there an advantage to doing it that way, or would it be easier to do WITH a computer?

6. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    It's a little easier to do it with the GingerBreak apk. If you want to do it with a PC it's a little more time consuming. You have to establish ADB in your system path,find and download the proper LG drivers, find and download the right version of SuperOneClick,find and download the right flash_image,find and download the right recovery. After all that you still are going to have to use a command prompt and type some lines of code. After all that you will only be able to delete the bloatware,not the pre-installed system apps. You will be able to move some apps to the SD card though. If you go to all the trouble to root and install a recovery,why not install a ROM like Harmonia 1.3 , it was my first ROM and it allowed me to have 90 something downloaded apps and still have 120 something MB of storage left on the phone. Plus it is super stable. And installing a ROM is quicker than changing a babies diaper. Plus the GingerBreak apk wont mess up your phone if you don't get it right the first time. One other thing, You going to have to use the stock SD card or another thats not over 2g. It's kind of picky about the sd card for some reason. You will have to reformat the SD card to the default settings. If for some reason it does not install after 12min. pull battery and try again. Make sure you reformat the stock SD card before you begin

7. Anamacha

None

Apr 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    okay -- I have a 4G SD card.

So if I follow all the steps in that "rooting without a computer" thing then that will work and I can do more with my phone, eh? And yes, there's no guarantees but it shouldn't brick my phone. Right?

The steps to make a backup of my phone -- those are in the rooting without a computer link, right?

Finally, I'm not sure I'm understanding your use of the term ROM. for me -- I'm old-school -- ROM means Read Only Memory; that is, you can't change it. Once it's in there, it's in there, and there's no getting it out. You're talking about "changing ROMs" which is something that i've never been able to do, from a logistical standpoint.

What you're talking about seems more like flashing the firmware of the phone -- is that correct?

8. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    Yes, a rom is your os and user interface. The custom roms have various tweaks and performance enhancements, most of them (harmonia included) will also give a little more useable memory. I'm running Harmonia and it starts out with about 176-179 megs.

9. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Does the Optimus V not start with 178megs? Of the 5 I have handled that is what was available.

10. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    For a better understanding of this topic go here and read all the additional threads that it refers you to [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums as far as your SD card, The Gingerbreak .apk can be a little picky at times. I would copy all the data from your card into a new file on your computer if you have on. If not then set up a drop box account and copy them to that. Try it with the 4g card like it is ,if after 12minutes it doesn't install then pull the battery,install the battery(Your system needs to reboot on each failed attempt to run the .apk). Reformat the card using the option on your phone. If that still doesn't work,Try to find the stock 2g SD card and reformat it with the phone. If that still don't work reformat to default settings using your PC if you have one. If you have any more questions about Rooting your phone please look and ask guestions in the "All Things Root" section,as you questions and concerns can be better answered there.

Tags: