• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Freeing up memory

Haikuguy

Oct 24, 2010
Hi

My (unrooted) DHD is almost out of memory, yet my pics contain 200MB and my music 2GB.

( I have 400MB on SD card, and 800MB on the internal).

I seem to have no way of organizing my folders in a way that I'll know which one is the "heaviest".

From looking at my downloaded apps I can's see it being the cause, I have maybe a dozen apps being (and I'm wayyyy over the top here) 1 GB all together.

WHERE IS THE REST OF MY MEMORY?

Any ideas?

Pics and music are usually stored on the SD card... how big is the SD card you have?

Internal memory on a DHD is only 1GB (or something like that), but I think that there should be enough memory to deal with pretty much anything (unless you download thousands of apps and keep them all)

EDIT - please note that this section (tips and tricks) of the forum is not for questions, but only for tips/tricks.

Upvote 0
Astro or ES File Explorer have the option to view the biggest folders on your SD Card.

Normally, it's the .navigator folder, which if you don't use the handset as a sat-nav, the contents of which be safely deleted.

It's hidden by default so you may have to check the options in ES to make hidden files and folders visible.

Don't worry - it can be moved by a guide or a mod if needed! :)

Moved :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
so yeah, the damn navigator is 4GB.

dudes, this is really a dirty play by HTC....an app that takes 50% of the memory of the phone and I can't uninstall it.....

how do I delete as much as I can of it without rooting?

Edit:
I deleted the un-wanted maps, all better.

Suddenly the nexus s seems like the better one...

thanks to everyone !

Upvote 0
so yeah, the damn navigator is 4GB.

dudes, this is really a dirty play by HTC....an app that takes 50% of the memory of the phone and I can't uninstall it.....

how do I delete as much as I can of it without rooting?

It's not actually dirty play, it was advertised as storing the maps on the handset. No need to uninstall the app, if you go to .data/navigator/Data/Maps you can delete the maps you don't need. You don't need root either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones