1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Freeing up Phone Space. Help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RyanMac, Aug 27, 2011.

1. RyanMac

RyanMac Newbie
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    My HTC Evo has as may you know only 1GB ROM/ 512MB RAM of space. I recently installed a 16GB SD card cuz I was tired of running out of room. But for some reason Im still running out of room on my internal storage cuz for some reason certain apps keep being downloaded to my internal phone storage and not my SD card. It so frustrating cuz the internal storage is so small and my SD card has all the room in the world left on it, like 12GB of space left, and the it wont let me move those apps to the SD card. They are stuck on there. The apps are not important to the phone itself. They are just games and plugin-ins I downloaded from the app store but I do want to keep them.
    Is there anyway to fix the default download destination or move the apps over using some other method?:thinking:

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    the issue is that the evo has a small amount of ram on the phone. not sure what htc was thinking when designing the evo. but there is the apps2sd that can be sort of helpful. when you go to settings/applications/manage apps and then move the apps to the sd card, you are using apps2sd. it moves the apps to the sd card, but it only moves part of the app to the card. the other part is still left on the phone. that is why you can't use any widgets attached to the app when it is moved to the card.

so what is taking up all of the ram then? well your phone, as it is, has the dalvik cache which the phone uses to load any executable files that it needs. and then there is cache where your temp files are stored. of course there is your apps. and finally there is the stock rom with sense 1.0. so you can see how fast your ram will disappear.

the only way to get around this is to be rooted. the custom roms that are out now are much smaller and faster then the stock rom. plus you can partition your card and use a2sd which is different then apps2sd. a2sd moves the entire app to your card. the only thing on your phone is a symbolic link that tells the phone where to find the app on your card. it saves a ton of ram by doing this. just to give you an idea i have 160 apps with still 250mb left!

you will need a higher class card to do this, preferably a class 6 or higher. the higher class card is need especially if you use intensive apps like games and such. the reason is that since the apps are on the card the phone then needs to read and write on the card as the app runs. so if you have a slower card your apps will suffer. so go here for directions on how to do it. [GUIDE][07/07/11]How to Partition your SD Card - xda-developers

3. RyanMac

RyanMac Newbie
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    I have the apps2sd app and tried to do all I could using that but I still have space I cannot free up. Again this brings me back to rooting my phone but Im so scared to do that cuz Im unsure of myslef in doing that. And I consider myself to be VERY tech savvy. If it was a Mac it be no problem, I could take the thing apart, clean it and put it back together again,.... but rooting my phone is like chinese to me, especially since Im still very new to Android.
    I'll have took into those other options you mentioned.
    If you could explain to me what partitioning my card will do exactly? And is that something my phone needs to be rooted in order to do?

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    you need to be rooted in order to partition your card and have the benefits of it. rooting is actually a fairly easy thing to do. main thing is to read everything and be prepared. here is the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/395962-guide-rooting-gingerbread-revolutionary.html. if you need help folks over in the rooting section can help you out. also in the guide explains about partitioning you card as well.

Tags: