1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Freeing up system space?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fd2blk78, Dec 29, 2012.

1. fd2blk78

fd2blk78 Newbie

I'm running a rom in slot 1. I want to use it as a daily driver, but when I made the slot 1 space, I only partitioned it for one gig. Now I'm out of system space to reinstall apps. I had an idea, to make a slot 2 partition with 2 gigs, back up the slot one, move to slot 2 with the 2 gigs etc. But I don't have enough space to make the 2 gig second slot. So my question is, what can I do to free up some system space? Is there a way to repartition other things on the phone? I hear about people with roms on 3 slots!! Where is the system space coming from? Any help would be appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

What about backing up your current ROM, completely delete slot1, recreate it with 2 gigs, the restore your ROM?

To answer your free space question. On the internal SD card, if you have ROM backups there that you don't need delete them - or move them to the external SD.

fd2blk78 likes this.
  3. fd2blk78

fd2blk78 Newbie

Worked like a champ. But now running jb rooted so doesn't really apply anymore. Haha Thanks for the help!

4. Doctorjazz

Doctorjazz Member

Not sure this is the best place for this, but it is related. I don't understand the memory stuff on the Razr... I have a rooted Maxx, though I still use the stock ROM. (I wanted to be able to tether without Verizon's control /fee). I do have root only apps, Titanium Backup, file managers, etc. Titanium makes regular backups. I have to admit finding Droid storage confusing, but, if I get this, "sd" is a actually on the Razr, while "ext-sd" is really the card. What's been happening is my sd memory seems to fill and I'm not sure why. It happened a few months ago, wound up restoring the Razr to factory state, then reinstalling and rerooting, which helped for a while. Now I'm getting the same notice that the memory is low. I tried moving the Titanium Backup files to ext-sd, still get the message memory is low. Changed settings so TB backups are to ext-sd, but can't figure out what else is eating up memory. Really don't want to revert back to factory state again. Anyone have suggestions /help? Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Doc, I'd try connecting you phone to the PC, and then use Windows explorer to see which folder(s) on the internal SD card are taking up all your space. (Right click on the folder then choose 'properties', that will tell you the amount of space being used by the folder).
    When you find the one that's taking up too much space you may be able to figure out why it's happening, and take steps to correct the problem.

If you make backups of your ROM through recovery, that could be the problem. Those backups take up a lot of space.

6. Doctorjazz

Doctorjazz Member

Thanks, I'll try that at home tonight. When this happened the 1st time I did this and couldn't find what it was. I do have backups, maybe that's eating up my space

7. Doctorjazz

Doctorjazz Member

I did find 2 large files, Titanium Backup and Safestrap, both collecting backup files (I think Safestrap is a full ROM backup, I'm rooted but still using Motorola ROM; was thinking about trying a custom ROM, though I'm a bit chicken). Anyway, thanks

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews