1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Freeze at white HTC Incredible boot screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Crooke356, May 6, 2011.

1. Crooke356

Crooke356 Newbie
    None

May 6, 2011
    I run Cm7 on my Dinc. Very happy with it. Set it up on my friends Dinc. Not long after, he tried to flash another ROM using ROM manager. He didn't completely wipe before installation. Phone froze at the white HTC Incredible boot screen. After paying a small fee, i aquired the phone thinking I could fix it. I can't. I've copied several roms directly to the SD card from my laptop and installed them through bootloader. After installation, some reported successful, some did not. Even the successful installs still froze at the white HTC boot screen. Before I did this, I did do a factory reset and restore. By doing this, did I remove the root and therefore prevent the roms from running? Or do I need a specific ROM to get this phone up and running? Being able to access bootloader I'm convinced that there should be some way to salvage this phone. I hope. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    You did not remove root by doing the factory reset. Make sure you're performing a full wipe of data, cache and Dalvik cache (under advanced menu assuming the custom recovery is Clockworkmod). Then load the Rom and give it plenty of time to boot.

Worst case scenario, try flashing the stock system image (which will remove root), then reroot and start fresh. This really should not be necessary though. Full wipe should be working. If you continue to have problems, you might try an ultra stable Rom, like one of the later Sense based Roms...Virtuous, Nothing Special, etc.

Crooke356 likes this.
  3. Crooke356

Crooke356 Newbie
    None

May 6, 2011
    I do indeed have clockworkmod and I have done a compete wipe through the advanced menu (data, cache and dalvik). I will try one of the recommended stable ROMS. Well, all of them if need be. Thanks for the advice, hope it does the trick.

Outta curiosity, what is dalvik? I'm familiar with the word but not its meaning.

4. Crooke356

Crooke356 Newbie
    None

May 6, 2011
    The ROM he downloaded that seems to be the source of this problem (or the fact he didn't do a complete wipe, which it specifically says to do) was Optimized Sense V1.0. It says its a mostly stock ROM. Maybe that info will help with opinions on a fix.

5. iowabowtech

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    The phone should be fine, he probably didn't wipe or only did a partial wipe before loading. However, it's slightly concerning if you can't remedy the problem with a full wipe. Just to be absolutely sure, you are going into Clockwork and performing the following steps right:

1.) Wipe data (factory reset)
    2.) Wipe cache partition
    3.) Wipe Dalvik cache (advanced menu)
    4.) Install zip from SD card
    5.) Choose zip from SD card (the Rom)

Then you're loading the Rom right? All of those steps back to back? That should be working. If you continue to strike out, we can talk RUU.

6. Crooke356

Crooke356 Newbie
    None

May 6, 2011
    I have done all of those steps to the letter with several different ROMS. Just did it again with the Virtuous ROM and poof!! It booted! Apparently I needed a more stable ROM. Although I find it odd that none of the others worked. I had been searching for ROMS that were closer to stock but never came across Virtuous. But thanks to you I found the right ROM and now have a practically new Dinc that cost $15! I cannot thank you enough. The first tip from you did it (it was also my first attempt to install another ROM after your reply)!! Now all I have to do is decide whether I want to sell it or use it as an experimental platform for customization. I'm leaning towards the latter. Thank you again! Who knows how many ROMS I would have went through until I found Virtuous!

7. Crooke356

Crooke356 Newbie
    None

May 6, 2011
    And again, can you define dalvik cache in a non expert way? I'm only 3 months old in the root community. I've noticed when I wipe my dalvik cache nothing noticeable changes, yet when I'm looking for ROMS or kernels to install some providers are adamant on wiping it. I ask so when I do install ROMS/ kernels I know what is necessary to wipe without researching for 30 min. LOL

8. Crooke356

Crooke356 Newbie
    None

May 6, 2011
    I have many questions about the possibilities and options that I now have with my phone rooted. And although you would think with access to the internet and 3 months of searching, i would have been able to learn all that I could possibly need to know. But I'm finding it difficult to get answers that are not in a lingo that is to techy for me to understand. If your willing to continue to answer my questions, is there a better way for me to communicate with you? You seem very knowledgeable and able to describe things in a way I understand. It would be greatly appreciated if you'd let me pick your brain! Id just stick with the forums but when I ask a "stupid question" the common reply is to stick with a stock phone if I don't know what I'm doing.

9. iowabowtech

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Yes, Dalvik cache is a bit of an interesting beast and it would serve me best not to outdo Cyanogen himself. These are his words and the best explanation I've seen that makes at least some sense to the average Joe...

Simple explanation:

When Android starts up, the DalvikVM looks thru all of your applications (.apk files) and frameworks, and builds a tree of dependencies. It uses this dependency tree to optimize the bytecode for every application and stores it in the Dalvik cache. The applications are then run using the optimized bytecode. This is why when you install a new ROM, sometimes it takes a very long time to boot for the first time. Any time an application (or framework library) changes, it's reoptimized and the cache is updated.

Again, the above words are those of Cyanogen, not myself. If you have any questions you don't want to pose on the forum, PM me. I'd be glad to help if I can.