• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Freeze System Updates?

Gremlin256

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
Sacramento, CA
So basically I tried to update via OTA, since it failed, every night it would ask when to install. Could not find a way to disable that install message so I factory reset the phone..

So how do I disable OTA messages? One of the threads somewhere to dial a certain number to disable OTA's and I am still getting notification to update. I dsiable wifi to make it disappear..

Thanks for any help.

Remove OTA Update(and notification)
If an OTA notification is on your device you most likely already have the OTA file on your phone. If rooted, you can remove the OTA files and get rid of that annoying notification.

Updates are found in the /cache/ folder on your phone. Using a RootExplorer-type app(or ES File Explorer) browse to the root of your phone(NOT the root of your internal storage, /sdcard/, but the actual phone). If using ES File Explorer you may have to use the "show hidden files" option and grant the app root. You will see the update .zip file in cache if you did everything correctly. If no one has already uploaded the OTA zip.. copy the update to your sdcard and then upload for everyone else. Now delete the zip file from /cache/.

Deleting the file in /cache/ will get rid of the OTA but will not get rid of the notification. To get rid of notification:
1. Pull the notification shade down on your phone
2. Long press on the OTA notification until you see the App Info option pop up.
3. Click App Info and uncheck the Show Notifications box.

This is from thread:
[PSA] NO OTAs!! | Keep Root/Unlock | How-To:… | LG G3 | XDA Forums

Upvote 0
Going forward, once any files in cache are cleared, use Titanium Backup to freeze "System updates...", or use a file explorer to rename the two LGDMSClient files found in /system/app; appending .bak at the end of the file name is enough.

Restart your phone. If you used TiBU, checking System Updates will generate a message that Settings has closed, while if you did the file rename you will no longer see the System Updates option under Settings.

Reactions: Gremlin256
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones