1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Freezing & Corrupted Pictures/Video

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VorlonShadow, Jun 21, 2011.

1. VorlonShadow

VorlonShadow Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    FREQUENTLY on my Droid X2, when I'm trying to take a picture, the camera will seem to freeze, and I'll get part of a picture, some random lines and the rest of the picture will be a pinkish color. The same sort of thing seems to happen with the video camera, quite often it will freeze. About 50% of the time I'll get corrupted pictures or video. What's the deal? Anyone know?

Jesse

Advertisement

2. drspel

drspel Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    having trouble with the video on my dx2 also, will watch for info on your thread,

3. mjoz1982

mjoz1982 Lurker
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Hey guys, I was hoping to see an answer to this problem also, but while waiting I figured I would try some things out. I swapped the 8gig card for a 2 gig I had sitting around and snapped a boat load of photos with no problem. So I decided to plug the 8 gig into my laptop and format it then pop it back into the phone and see what happens. I have taken about 30 more pics with it and have not had one corrupt photo since. Try it out and let me know if it works for the both of you also. Mike

4. ABRMess006

ABRMess006 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    I went out shooting yesterday and recorded some videos, only took 1 pic and it worked no problem. The videos on the other hand will freeze while recording for a short time and then continue no issues. Also when I uploaded the videos to my computer, they will freeze for a sec in the video then no sound from that point forward. BUT if I open the video and click on the time frame to start AFTER the point where it froze, the remainder of the video plays perfect. I am using the 16gb card out of my old X. I formatted it completely and still had the issue. Will try it again and let you know next time I use it, but just giving you the info I got from this.

5. VorlonShadow

VorlonShadow Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    On the photo part of this, I downloaded Camera Advance Lite (Free), and I took SEVERAL photos without a problem. They were at lower resolution, and you have to upgrade to the pro version to get higher resolution, but the pictures were not as good as the few that I've actually been able to take with the native camera. But, if the native camera is going to freeze up and corrupt my photos most of the time (it seems to have gotten worse), what good is it? Using camera Advance Lite seems to prove that there is a problem with the native camera app. Apparently others are having problems with the video part as well. Maybe I was just not very patient when mine "froze up". I was trying to reboot it and exit after 5 or 10 seconds.

6. drspel

drspel Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    well, just an update to my original post. send the first one back and recieved my second dx2, well the video would still break and pause just a little so unmounted sd card and then formatted it and then remounted card and so far all is working better. will keep all posted. love the dx2 and best app so far is skydroid for golf. amazing and accurate 5 stars from me.

7. VorlonShadow

VorlonShadow Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    I had an extra 8GB card laying around. I installed it and re-formatted it and copied my stuff back on my card and found that it has also helped me. Maybe they give us crappy SD cards when we buy the phone. The video still pauses for a split second periodically, but it hasn't frozen the way it did before, and I just took 4 or 5 pictures in a row and none of them are corrupted. So, maybe this is the fix.

8. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    So the fix for the video freezing issue is a new SD card? Do you have to format a new one? Where do you get them & is one better than another?

9. VorlonShadow

VorlonShadow Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    That seemed to solve the problem I was having with still photos. The video is still a little "shaky". It still freezes sometimes, or causes a reboot, but it is better than it was. I don't know if you need to reformat a new card or not, but I formatted mine mainly because I used it in my old BlackBerry. You can get a new card just about anywhere (Walmart, Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc...). I don't know if one is better than another or not. I believe mine is PNY, which is one of the cheaper brands, but it seems to be working OK.

10. ABRMess006

ABRMess006 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    Yesterday I actually did a factory reset on my phone and set the storage to be internal and I must say, I took about 10-15 pics and a video at a live show that was about 2 minutes long and not a single jump in the video/audio and pictures came out amazing!

I will post a video of before and after doing the factory reset and the before, I was recording onto the SD Card, the after is recording onto the internal memory.

BEFORE:
    YouTube - ‪M4 and exploding target‬‏

As you can see on this one, audio is WAY off, and it is like this on my phone as well...

AFTER:
    YouTube - ‪24th Birthday Madness in Boston!‬‏

This one was much better but you still get the cracky noise even in the recording but that might be because it was insanely loud, so who knows... anyways, after the reset, my phone hasn't rebooted once yet so.

11. afx38

afx38 Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I've heard that recording video on smartphones can be highly dependent on the class of sd card you are recording too. Big Red gave me a class 4 (represented by a small 4 with a circle around it on the face of the card). I have plans to buy a class 10 card which in theory costs a little more and is considerably faster.

I recorded 30 seconds of crappy laggy video on the class 4 card with my new dx2 this weekend. So my question is are most of these complaints coming from ppl with class 4 sd cards or are people having trouble even with a faster card, like a class 6 or 10?

12. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Android Enthusiast
    None

Not sure about the X2 but the Droid X has a video mode for concerts/loud scenarios.

13. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    I have a class 10 16GB PNY card in mine. It still lags/skips. Bottom line: these phones suck in their current iteration.