• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Freezing/lock up Issues

Hey are any of you having issues where your HTC One freezes then backs out to the previous window it was at?

I have a T-Mobile version since the 24th and have had numerous freezing issues even after TWO!! master resets. I am awaiting my store to get more in so I can swap and hopefully remedy this problem.

I recently copied my old phones pictures and several gifs to a folder I created on the phone called older pics and the phone freezes sometimes while looking at them or when I try to access the pics to attach to contacts, wallpapers, foursquare check ins, etc. :thinking:

Hey there antman808,welcome to ONEDERLAND!

Got my T-MOBILE branded ONE a day after you.Have't had any performance issues whatsoever w/my handset,but,others may & your issue probably isn't linked to being of a certain carrier.

Admittedly,this area is something I'm not going to be of much help,as I stream most of my media & my phone is relatively empty/lotsa storage space available.(BTW,no problems streaming video or audio,regardless of data connection).

It'll get a bit busier here later in the day & the photogs in the crowd will be along to assist in troubleshooting.

I hope that aside from this,you're thoroughly enjoying the ONE.

Upvote 0
Hey there antman808,welcome to ONEDERLAND!

Got my T-MOBILE branded ONE a day after you.Have't had any performance issues whatsoever w/my handset,but,others may & your issue probably isn't linked to being of a certain carrier.

Admittedly,this area is something I'm not going to be of much help,as I stream most of my media & my phone is relatively empty/lotsa storage space available.(BTW,no problems streaming video or audio,regardless of data connection).

It'll get a bit busier here later in the day & the photogs in the crowd will be along to assist in troubleshooting.

I hope that aside from this,you're thoroughly enjoying the ONE.

Streaming is working great for me both over mobile and wifi connections it's just the issue of files I have put on the phone that freeze up the gallery app (pics and gifs). But thanks for a response looking forward to hearing what everyone can contribute! and YES I am loving this ONE :D

Upvote 0
how much memory is left on the phone?

when you did these factory resets, did you use the phone WITHOUT ADDING the gifs and older photos to your new phone's memory? if you did not add these images and the phone still froze, then its a phone issue.

but if you kept loading these images after each reset and it kept freezing, seems like these images may be the culprit.

so since you are willing to do factory resets, do another one, sign in with your gmail account and do not load the photos and test the device then.

Upvote 0
using about 10 gigs, have a lot left free.

yes, it will still freeze while looking at photos taken with the camera. also the albums don't refresh it seems after pics are added to them (Instagram, Foursquare, etc.)

i am leaning towards it def. being a phone issue i just have to wait for my T-Mo to get more in stock so i can swap it out :( feel like i got the bad apple outta the bunch.

Upvote 0
Hello People!

I don't know all of the right lingo but I will try to give you as much info as I can. (btw, I DID search the forum and I couldn't find this exact problem discussed before, but if it has been please direct me!)

I just picked up my phone and it was stuck on the "quietly brilliant" screen. I let it sit for about an hour after that and checked it and it was still there. I pressed and held the power button down to reboot...froze at the same screen. After some research I figured out how to do a factory reset and still freezes at the same screen. It did show a black screen with the red triangle and exclamation point for a while (I'm guessing that that is HORRIBLE) but now it's just frozen at the quietly brilliant screen again.

The phone is not "rooted" (I don't even know what that is but I hear people mentioning that all the time so I thought I would disclose that.)

Any suggestions??

Upvote 0
You said you just picked the phone up. Do you mean drom a table or from a store. IF from a store, return it for a refund or replacement. (It's brand new, so no refurbs.)

If it's from a table, it could be bricked, but it's not really possible to tell from the little you've given us. (The red triangle is a Bad Thing.) Bring it to the carrier's store and see if they can give you an idea of what's wrong and approximately what it will cost to fix (if they can't just push a few buttons to fix it). Sometimes the worst things are the simplest to fix, so don't throw your hands up in he air just yet.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
@Rukbat: Thank you so much for your response. Im sorry, I meant I picked it up from the table.

I don't know the term "bricked"?? Sounds bad. :(

Yeah, I wanted to check and see if anyone had tips before I took it in. Last time I took it to sprint they wanted $50 just to LOOK at it...came here and discovered how to restart it by holding the power button down. Worked perfectly and saved me $50.

Hoping for a little of the same this time. (fingers crossed!)

Upvote 0
is this phone new? as in did you purchase brand new from a corporate store? or was it through 3rd party channels?

how long have you had the phone prior to this happening? did you install any OTA updates (4.3?)?

what were you doing prior to this happening? did you install or uninstall any apps prior?

did the phones battery die completely prior to this?

what was the last thing you did to the phone when it was working properly??

attempt a hard reset:

With the phone off, press and hold the Volume Down" button & switch on.

is there a sim card in the phone? remove it and reinsert.

Upvote 0
Hello Marctronixx:

Yes, the phone was purchased brand new from Sprint. I've had it since the HTC One first came out. No updates were installed directly prior. At least not that I know of. The last time I updated was about 2 weeks ago. No apps were installed/uninstalled prior.

However forgot to plug in last night and the battery died. Came on this morning only b/c my alarm was set (noticed that it came on in airplane mode) and then it turned right back off. plugged it to charger immediately.

I noticed it was frozen about 5 hours later.

The last thing I did was either make a call or check my FB.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Turn it off. Plug in the charger. Let it sit, charging, for 24 hours. The first 5 or 6 hours that a dead battery sits on the charger it gets almost no charge - it's not a linear thing, 10 hours to charge, so 2.5 hours is 1/4 charge? No. 2.5 hours is like now it's first going to start charging. (Strange electrochemical reaction taking place in there.)

If after 24 hours of charge, it still doesn't power up, try a hard reset.

Upvote 0
Thank you Rukbat, it is charging now and I will report back tomorrow. :)

---

It shows an animated battery on the screen showing that it's charging for a few seconds and then goes back to the "Quietly Brilliant" screen and stays there...lit.

Should I continue to let it charge? Is there any possible harm if it never goes off?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones