• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fresh 2.0D convert and comments

ToxicToastKatz

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2009
Aurora, IL
Ok, so I realize I've been on here a TON the past few days asking a TON of questions regarding Fresh 2.0d and how to do certain things.

First off, to anyone who has helped me, big thank yous!

Now that I've gotten everything pretty much where I'm happy with it and likely won't be tooling around with it too much more, I'd like to give a few comments for anyone interested.

1. It took a big leap of faith for me to jump onto the Rooting/ROMing bandwagon. Much like everyone else who has done it, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. One of the main reasons I was worried was because I didn't want to put a half-baked ROM on that had functionality issues. I can honestly say, from the 2.5 days I've been using Fresh 2.0d, I can't see anything that's lacking. That's not to say that there is something I may be missing, but the stuff that I use my phone for on a daily basis has not failed me once. The few things that he removed, I've realized I didn't need in the first place.

2. The one con I do have is that for some reason, I have WAYYYYYYY less internal memory on my phone now than with the Stock ROM. Not really sure why. I have less "bloatware" and the same number of programs as before. My Contact Storage is up around 15MB (not sure why) where it was at about 7MB with the Stock. The only thing this really impacts though is the amount of stuff I can store on the phone. The speed/responsiveness hasn't suffered one iota.

3. Much like with an Apple product, "Things just work" with Fresh 2.0d. It's truly amazing. The phone moves with the responsiveness of an iPhone. When I push something or command the phone to do something, the expectation is that it does it. On the Stock ROM, it would....eventually. This is darn near instantaneous. I can answer a phone call immediately instead of playing the "I hope I can get to this fast enough" game. Programs open as they should. Things update as they should (mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). The MLB At Bat application actually produces an audio feed that is audible by a human ear (not to mention it produces it lightning fast, as opposed to hitting the audio feed button on 1.5 and waiting 1/2 inning for it to connect). WiFi, and this shocked the absolute hell out of me, ACTUALLY STAYS CONNECTED NOW!!!

4. Nandroid backups are nice. I've never restored, so I can't comment on the ease of restoring a backup (I'm hoping it's painless) but just knowing that you can "always go back" is nice. I actually backup before I do ANYTHING, just in case.

I know that this type of testimonial has been written 100 times over on this forum, but I am just so amazed wtih this. My stance has changed completely. I no longer intend to EVER switch to the official Sprint update (if an when it every magically appears), but instead will wait for the real geniuses to put their spin on it and make it actually useable.

I haven't decided if I want to try different ROMs, simply because I don't want to overstep my knowledge base and screw something up, but you never know, I may get antsy :)

Reactions: JB in AZ
First off, thanks for this nice report! Seeing that you are now a "Ravng Fan" and had been a hold back, as I am, I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

I suppose I could find some of the answers if I follow the questions you posted and the answers that you received on the forum, but it would be easier for me if you wouldn't mind just answering a few for me here, and perhaps others would appreciate it as well.

Do you use bluetooth in your car? If so, has that usability changed? I have no issues with the Bluetooth in 1.5 as it works with my '09 Toyota, and hope if I do decide to root and ROM, that will not degrade.

Did you manual root or use the auto-rooter?

Did you experience the audio problem and use the audio fix? Seems there is more than one possible fix.

Some of this stuff sure does seem confusing...with google, without google...different recovery images. WOW. I almost decided to root yesterday, then didn't... as the forum was not accessible for awhile. (I am sure I will need some help, I just don't have the confidence)

Upvote 0
First off, thanks for this nice report! Seeing that you are now a "Ravng Fan" and had been a hold back, as I am, I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

I suppose I could find some of the answers if I follow the questions you posted and the answers that you received on the forum, but it would be easier for me if you wouldn't mind just answering a few for me here, and perhaps others would appreciate it as well.

Do you use bluetooth in your car? If so, has that usability changed? I have no issues with the Bluetooth in 1.5 as it works with my '09 Toyota, and hope if I do decide to root and ROM, that will not degrade.

Did you manual root or use the auto-rooter?

Did you experience the audio problem and use the audio fix? Seems there is more than one possible fix.

Some of this stuff sure does seem confusing...with google, without google...different recovery images. WOW. I almost decided to root yesterday, then didn't... as the forum was not accessible for awhile. (I am sure I will need some help, I just don't have the confidence)

I'll be more than happy to help where I can!

With regards to Bluetooth, I have only used it a handful of times while stock to connect my bluetooth headphones for listening to music and haven't used it since I've rooted. I've relied more on my iPod headphones for music listening (as it's just easier to tote those around then my bluetooth headphones), so I don't really have a use for Bluetooth right now. i plan to eventually purchase a earpiece and hope to have a new car soon w/ Bluetooth compatibility, but as for now, this was my long winded answer to tell you I can't help on this issue :)

As for method of Root, I used the Fresh Kitchen. The Kitchen is updated since I last tried to root back in Feb. or so. It's even easier than it was back then. It doesn't have the "with Google" option. There is a 2-part video that I watched with regards to the Kitchen. It pretty much explains it all. I did have to root with the "old" RA (you'll see what I mean if you watch the video and explore the Kitchen) but it was a piece of cake.

I've seen a few people mention something about the audio fix. Truthfully, I'm not too sure what that is in regards to. My guess is it has somethign to do with the audio cutting our during phone calls. I've only taken a few calls so far and have had no issues.

I was skeptical because I didn't want/have time to "read, read and read" teh forums (there's like over 300 pages to some of them) but the only thing you really need to do is read the stickied post at the top of the forum (just the first post) and watch the video about the kitchen.

Upvote 0
I am also a new rooted fresh 2.0d user, which I have to say is amazing. Been running it for a day now and I have no complaints.
The only thing that I didn't like about was the new keyboard, so I flash the og keyboard.
Also flashed rosie to get live wallpapers. The down side to that is that you don't get the weather animations.
I also flashed the vanilla unlock screen, which also patched the menu unlocked button.
For you issue with internal memory. Just use the a2sd, there is a tutorial on how to partition your sd card correctly. He recommends to use a class 6 minisd. FAQ: Apps2sd | Information and a warning Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero
Hope everything goes well.

Upvote 0
The reason that Fresh 2.0d has internal memory shortage is because of the ROM.

I can't remember which way this goes.. but anyways..

It is either odexed or not odexed...

Either way..the ROM isn't compressed and that is why it sucks up the internal memory.

Once the Devs have the OFFICIAL release, it will be compressed correctly and you will have a lot of internal memory left.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones