1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Fresh 3.5.0.1 and 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by B.Risky, Feb 25, 2011.

1. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    I am having issues with my 4G connectivity. I live in St. Louis and am located within a 4g service area. I know this because i have activated several EVOs and EVO Shifts and they all get a 4g signal where I am at.

The problem lies with my phone:
    I am running Fresh 3.5.0.1
    Baseband Version: 2.15.00.09.01
    Software number: 3.70.651.1
    PRI Version: 1.77_003
    PRL Version: 60675

I cannot get a 4g connection, before flashing the Fresh ROM i was able to connect and use 4g. I have been in other cities with 4g connection and saw other EVOs work with 4g but mine still did not connect.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with my version of Fresh?

Or is there some kind of tip or trick to fixing this?

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Have you checked to make sure your wimax keys are intacted? Download Wimax key checker from the market and run it. Did you do a backup before of your RSA keys?

As far as Fresh Rom, I have not heard of any 4g issues with this rom.

B.Risky likes this.
  3. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    "Sorry your WiMAX RSA key is missing!"

I have made backups through Clockwork when flashing new ROMs.

Where do I go from here?

thanks for the guidance.

4. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    What cw version have you been using? if you were using 2.6.0.1 or greater it backed up your wimax for you. all you need is to restore one that had your keys backed up.

Also there is no known issue with fresh and 4G. But clearly not the problem here anyhow...

5. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    You need to do a nandroid restore. They should contain the 4G keys. you can't access 4G without them.

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    As evomattnc said, you need to have been using CW 2.6.0.1 or greater for your wimax keys to have been backed up. Do you have a backup that you know had working 4g? If you've been making backups, but never had 4g working (or simply don't even know), it won't do you any good to restore the backup if it doesn't actually have a good wimax backup. You'll still be in the same situation. So, only restore a backup if you know it had 4g working. There *are* ways of checking if a backup should work or not, but no need for that if you have a backup you know works.

7. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    Only because I learned it from you and passed it on lol. I am now running 2.6.0.1. I would like to go to Ra 2.3 one day but I dont want to have to mess with two recoveries because i'll need both depending on which back up i want to restore.

Im like a sponge. If you pass on all of your knowledge you wont need to be on the forum as much :).

8. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Looks like I was on CW 2.5 when I did the backups.

Any hope for me?

I dont know much about these keys...I imagine they are specific to each phone? If not, can I download them from somewhere and flash them?

9. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    Insurance on your "broken" phone? live without 4G? most of us live without it anyhow. I havent had 4G in my area ever. I had it for 15 minutes once as I drove through charlotte...

There are some 3G tweaks that have done very well for some peoples speeds, also in this day and age i can almost hop from open wi-fi to open wi-fi everywhere i go.

10. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Sh!tty i wont have 4g on this phone.

I do have insurance, so I may end up losing my phone at some point. Or there is always the off chance it may get stolen too.....

Did I lose those keys when I flashed a new ROM at some point?

Thanks again for all your help.

11. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    From my understanding, there is a risk of losing them when you root your phone. I am not certain of this. I would imagine that any changes that you make while flashing could potentially cause you to lose them.

12. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    Here are some 3G tricks that have helped some people, its hit or miss for some reason but it helped me. One for streaming and the other part to increase dl speeds. lacking 4g isnt that bad. I just cant stream a tv show off of hulu when im in my car...

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...r-solution-fix-your-slow-3g-speeds-evo4g.html

of course there is a chance your 3g speeds are fine also so it may not be necessary. bumped me up to 1.5 from .5 though. The proxy setting change is just to help with streaming basically.

13. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    I am not going to die without 4g. Thing is I had it when I lived out of town and every time I came to St. Louis i was excited to use 4g. Now that i have moved back for good I havent seen a 4g signal.

If i hadnt been using other phones with 4g recently I dont think I would really care. But living in an area with 4g and having a phone that is 4g capable really makes my situation annoying.

I am a Sprint Preferred customer and I have insurance on the phone.....which do you all suggest I got with? Upgrade as a preferred customer or pay the insurance? I dont know what the prices are or if one process gets you a new/refurb phone?

14. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    Well im not going to condone you getting insurance on a phone that had the warranty voided by rooting and broken subsequently and then covering it up lol. Heres what I know...insurance is 100 bucks, if you are due for a new phone through your early upgrade it'll run you 150 after a mail in rebate and 100 dollar instant savings (i just used an early upgrade back in dec. to get mine). Depends on if 50 bucks is worth it to you to do things legally lol.

My personal suggestion is to try and tweak your 3G speeds and get them around 1.5, use wi-fi at home and live with it. but then again 4G isnt even an option for me. I bought the evo because all i could do with it, 4G capability was last on my list.

Edit: Sorry it was 150 instant saving and 100 dolar mail in rebate i believe. Left me paying 150 after i get my rebate money back. Thats if the rebate is still offered.

15. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    There are a few things you could have done to lose your wimax keys, but it most commonly happens when you update radios. Did you ever update your radios manually?

16. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    I updated my radios through 'Fresh Updater' at one point. I guess it could have happened then.

Blows my mind that i have been flashing custom ROMs and never came across the Wimax RSA keys until it was mentioned in this post.

I know i sound like a broken record but thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions. You all were very quick to respond and all responses were directly related to my questions.

Tags: