• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FRG01B Forced now phone is almost unusable.

BigDaddyCool

Dec 21, 2009
Last week I forced the OTA 2.2 for droid and now my phone is almost unusable. It was "kinda laggy" right after the update but now it is a 2 second delay just to get numbers to type in on the dial pad. It makes me wish I had waited.

I did notice that EVERYTHING is starting in the background when I look at my task killer. If I kill everything then it runs smooth for maybe 30 secs before everything starts back up again.

Is my slowness being caused by this or is there something else I can do to make is usable again. I am really hoping that FRG22 fixes this major problem for me as I loved my droid before but almost want to toss it out the window now.

Kills me waiting 5-10 secs for handcent to even startup.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have to help me out here.

The only one I know is task killer that can cause problems with froyo. I would try uninstalling that one first and see how it works.

You can also just try killing one task at a time and see how it works. Most apps should not be slowing down your phone unless it is something poorly designed, but there could be one or two rogue apps that are causing all the problems.

Upvote 0
you may have to clear out your cache and do a factory reset. I do that before i load most of my roms and it works perfect. Back up your apps with astro, then do a factory reset and then force the update.

Just doing a Factory Reset/wipe seems to have fixed my problems of lag. The instructions I followed. I also made sure to check the box in settings to back up settings to google and all of my apps automatically downloaded again.

How to hard reset the Motorola DROID - Know Your Cell

Upvote 0
Task Killers that you have installed on the phone (but not actively running kill tasks all the time) will not hurt you or mess with FroYo.

task Killers that you have monitoring for and killing tasks on a regular basis / routine schedule will degrade your performance, especially if the task keeps restarting itself.

Moral of the story - don't let a computer program do for you what it thinks is right. Do some reading and realize that task killers are only needed when you get into a bind and have to force close a task. They do you no good for use every day, hour, minute, or any other time interval to repeatedly kill tasks even if you do not use them.

Upvote 0
"Moral of the story - don't let a computer program do for you what it thinks is right".

John that is part of the problem. It is already doing what it thinks is right-loading the key ring app, Amazon and all the other apps that I have never used. Has anyone ever explained the reason for these apps loading on their own?

John

Upvote 0
Hi, John, nice to meet you - I am John. :p

Actually, no one has ever given me a good enough explanation - and it is one of the reasons I rooted my phone - so I could get rid of those pesky apps, like AmazonMP3, and Corporate Email, that I never, ever use and never plan on using - by the time I am done with my Master's and Ph. D, this phone had damn well better be just a memory... and I ain't doing anything corporate before that, AFAICT.

Besides, I can always add them back in if I really really really need to.

Upvote 0
I think I may have found it...

The other day I decided to uninstall WaveSecure since I never payed for it.

When I was done I rebooted my phone. Everything started working really well... I thought "there is no way that program could have done that to my phone".... It was almost as frustrating at it pausing because I had done really nothing and it was working correctly now.

Well I think i just figured out what the real culprit is..... FLASH BETA 3.... Right after I forced 2.2 I put the beta on.... Well I was in Dolphin looking at a website and started the embedded flash vid and after that my phone started acting really laggy again. Not until it finally closed flash by itself did it speed back up again. My guess is that flash was stuck running in the background and was causing all my lag.

If this is true I really hope it doesnt happen in the full version.....

Anyone else having the issue may want to try killing Flash if it is running in the background and see if things smooth out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones