• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fried motherboard - Can I recover data?

jjkla

Lurker
Jul 1, 2017
Hi everyone. I have a Galaxy S6 Active that worked great for a year... until yesterday, when it started a system update (unprompted) at about 20% battery. Next thing I knew, it froze on the startup logo screen. I tried everything to reboot, to no avail. So I took the device into the Samsung tech at my local Best Buy, and they told me the motherboard is fried. They said this was probably due to the system update on low battery, but whatever the case... the main point is that I have a ton of precious photos and videos on that phone. I checked my backup accounts and the latest backup doesn't seem to include any of them. :'( I'm seriously heartbroken because I don't want to lose my photos! Is there anything I can do to recover the data from the phone? Please help!!

Reactions: Brian Newton
Hi James, thanks so much for responding. I've tried both methods you mentioned, no luck. The phone is completely frozen on the logo screen. It doesn't even display the green LED when charging. My carrier is AT&T, I went to them first for help but they told me I would have to go through Samsung because I own the phone. Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
I have been using Google photos, but for some reason my photos are only backed up through May. :\

So I tried the method you just mentioned, and this is the screen I'm seeing (photo attached). What next? Thank you again for your help!!

Attachments

• 20170704_124557.jpg
    20170704_124557.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0
I have been using Google photos, but for some reason my photos are only backed up through May. :\

So I tried the method you just mentioned, and this is the screen I'm seeing (photo attached). What next? Thank you again for your help!!
That's what we need to see. Active that's AT&T right?

Provide me the carrier if it's unlocked the original carrier. I'll see what i can do as far as splitting the firmware so we can get a no wipe tar.

Have you gone to Google photos on a different phone and checked the settings, like backup over WiFi only etc.

I'm working with several clients now but will look into the firmware.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Late reply. Ok with newer firmware files you get the 5 way split files or the 4 way split. The 5 way split being optimal due to the home csc file not wiping data.

Older firmware is either just one file or 4 files. You could remove the 2 files within the firmware splits that cause the data wipe and since you can get into download mode flash the files.

This would in a ideal situation get the device booted without wiping it, will it work? Hmm not sure. i would have to find my crash test dummy, (Samsung phone) lol and give it a go. So when i get up and motivated i'll try it as all i found for your device was the 4 way splits.

All said it's still a 50/50 chance the device would boot normally.

In your case i would say it's time to roll the dice.

Upvote 0
James, you're awesome! I'm definitely not tech-savvy enough to figure this out on my own -- the stuff about firmware is honestly all Greek to me -- but I'm willing to bet I can follow directions if you provide them. :) Thanks for giving me a little glimmer of hope that there might be something I can do to recover my files... or, at least, the assurance that I'll be doing everything I CAN do in this situation. I'll stay tuned for what to do next.

And yup, my carrier is AT&T.

Upvote 0
Waiting on the files to be put into a tar format, i extracted them and removed the pit file and the param.bin file both which cause the data wipe.

Putting them into a single file that can be flashed via Odin 3.10.7
in the AP slot.

If the files take much longer to be converted i will just break them down into the 4 files and let you know.

Reactions: jjkla
Upvote 0
LOL. Alright! I'm willing to take a leap of faith and try this out. Did you say you tested this on a Samsung phone of your own?

I'm currently on the phone with Samsung trying to work out a replacement phone (for which I am currently covered), and of course they're informing me that if I work with a third party to find a data retrieval solution, they won't cover my replacement. Ugh.

Upvote 0
Hi James, thanks so much for responding. I've tried both methods you mentioned, no luck. The phone is completely frozen on the logo screen. It doesn't even display the green LED when charging. My carrier is AT&T, I went to them first for help but they told me I would have to go through Samsung because I own the phone. Any other thoughts?
This !!!! It just happened to me & i lost 12000 photos & important doctor files i neeed to know as well !!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones