• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Friend Stream Error.

Burnzoid

Lurker
Apr 29, 2010
Hey guys. Had my Desire for about a month now, and am loving it, but have run into a problem over the last week or so. My friend stream app has stopped working. The widget will never refresh, and whenever I try and go into it an error : "The application Friend Stream (process com.htc.friendstream) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" just keeps popping up, and I have no choice but to force close.

Any help on the matter would be great. I've been hearing rumours it could be another app I've installed that's causing it, but I would have no idea what it would be.

Hey guys. Had my Desire for about a month now, and am loving it, but have run into a problem over the last week or so. My friend stream app has stopped working. The widget will never refresh, and whenever I try and go into it an error : "The application Friend Stream (process com.htc.friendstream) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" just keeps popping up, and I have no choice but to force close.

Any help on the matter would be great. I've been hearing rumours it could be another app I've installed that's causing it, but I would have no idea what it would be.

I've had similar issues. Auto-update wasn't working reliably. The sync time at the bottom of the widget would change but nothing downloaded. I emailed HTC who told me to factory-reset. After that it worked for a while, then I had a couple of 'updater stopped unexpectedly' messages. Now it doesn't update expect in the morning when I turn on.

On top of that, my music widget has crashed three times.

Upvote 0
I have had that problem a couple of times, but lastly the problem was a lot more persistent. Which led me to this forum. After reading what you all said I took a chance and made a reset on all the counts that is involved in friend stream. And voila, it worked. So thanx a lot for that.
I use a htc legend and simply love it, despite the problem with friend stream.:D

Upvote 0
I have the same problem, I just have fb on my friend stream but nothing seems to fix it, mearly get the "Cant update fb at this time try later" message. I will try the interval timings as mention but am trying to let the phone shut down and restart it, it has been 12 minutes so far and its still shutting down Grrrr!

Upvote 0
I have had the same issue start this week. Looked at the items above to no joy but saw this on another forum:

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Friend Stream > Clear Data and Clear Cache. (Note that I also did all of the Face book applications listed - there were 3 of them using cache)

Then Goto Setup > Click Next and Skip till you get to Set up Social Networks > Log out and Log in again so It re-downloads all your data.

I was then able to view the updates by pressing on the > button on the top of friend stream but no updates shown on the Face stream widget! So, I looked at the settings within the Widget, Show Updates, ticked off Face book then on agan. Hey Presto fixed!

Hope this helps and thanks to the person on the Vodafone forum whose answer I used at first.

Reactions: Swana2k
Upvote 0
I have had the same issue start this week. Looked at the items above to no joy but saw this on another forum:

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Friend Stream > Clear Data and Clear Cache. (Note that I also did all of the Face book applications listed - there were 3 of them using cache)

Then Goto Setup > Click Next and Skip till you get to Set up Social Networks > Log out and Log in again so It re-downloads all your data.

I was then able to view the updates by pressing on the > button on the top of friend stream but no updates shown on the Face stream widget! So, I looked at the settings within the Widget, Show Updates, ticked off Face book then on agan. Hey Presto fixed!

Hope this helps and thanks to the person on the Vodafone forum whose answer I used at first.

Apparently i have this problem also on my desire, tried your method go to clear all data n cache on facebook for htc sense, facebook, friend stream n friend stream widget. it works but it doesnt reflect on the main page but when i clicked the arrow on top. it shows the update.. to a certain extent it helps.. thanks for the solution..

Upvote 0

Worked for me too thanks! No idea why it just suddenly stopped working.. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I had this error on friend stream for about 2 weeks, after constantly trying different things nothing worked at all, so I played, a lot and found this. I found the fix and the cause! Ok, firstly delete Facebook account within friend stream, (click on the arrow), then go to manage apps, delete data and cache and force stop within Facebook for htc sense AND friend stream, go to your Facebook app and sign out, go to market next and un-install the Facebook update, ie. Roll it back to original, then restart your phone, resign back into friend stream, and set the auto sync time to 1 hour or 4, don't use 2, resign back into Facebook app, and voila, it all works as it did, the Facebook update is not right I think, kept getting authenticication errors even though was signed in, I've yet to try the 2 hour auto sync again or update Facebook to try, but so far mine has worked for 5 days, with no probs, maybe this Facebook update is affecting the desires only, emailed the developer to let em know, good luck. If you're worried about battery life go and search for the battery fix to make it last longer, my desire has now been unplugged for 24 hours solid with no re charge in-between, still got 35% battery left, I've used it a lot today same as I always do, before would be dead in about 6 hours, honestly it really does work!

Reactions: krunalpatel
Upvote 0
And got background data on, and mobile data on, turned live wallpaper off, I will try the 2 hour sync and the update again and repost my findings, tip. Everyone seems to forget to clear data from friend stream as well as the Facebook for friend stream, I did this before doing what I did, for me it didn't work, worth a shot though

Upvote 0
i signed up for twitter and logged in to it through friend stream and it packed in all together. Nothing i did would make it work again. I cleared the cache and signed out, deleted my accounts, everything you could think of i did and nothing worked. I did a factory reset and then signed back into facebook on friend stream and all was fine... weird. Nothing else has stopped working, and friend stream has been fine since. It was twitter that set it off in my case, so i haven't bothered with it since. hth.

Upvote 0
I had this error on friend stream for about 2 weeks, after constantly trying different things nothing worked at all, so I played, a lot and found this. I found the fix and the cause! Ok, firstly delete Facebook account within friend stream, (click on the arrow), then go to manage apps, delete data and cache and force stop within Facebook for htc sense AND friend stream, go to your Facebook app and sign out, go to market next and un-install the Facebook update, ie. Roll it back to original, then restart your phone, resign back into friend stream, and set the auto sync time to 1 hour or 4, don't use 2, resign back into Facebook app, and voila, it all works as it did, the Facebook update is not right I think, kept getting authenticication errors even though was signed in, I've yet to try the 2 hour auto sync again or update Facebook to try, but so far mine has worked for 5 days, with no probs, maybe this Facebook update is affecting the desires only, emailed the developer to let em know, good luck. If you're worried about battery life go and search for the battery fix to make it last longer, my desire has now been unplugged for 24 hours solid with no re charge in-between, still got 35% battery left, I've used it a lot today same as I always do, before would be dead in about 6 hours, honestly it really does work!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones