1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

friend's s3 (AT&T) won't update from 4.0.4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dmoss74, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dmoss74

dmoss74 Well-Known Member

my friend's phone has been acting up, so i decided to take a look at it. i see she still has 4.0.4 android on it, and i tried to update it. at first i get hte obligatory "check back in 24 hours" nonsense from at&t, then when i called their tech support, they said i needed to do the update through kies.

i installed kies on her computer, and the phone was recognized, but it never offered any updates, and when i go to the menu for that, nothing showed up.

i then called at&t back, and they told me to call samsung.

okay, i called samsung, and got more runaround until they finally tell me (after 1/2 hour on the phone) that the updates are not working now.

does anyone here know what is actually going on? i don't have days to fix this. I DO NOT want to install a custom rom, i only want to update the s3 to the latest android os available for this phone.

thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

They don't roll out these updates all at once. They are rolled out slowly. You have to be patient and wait. Those AT&T and Samsung reps are clueless.

3. yuukei

yuukei Newbie

Have you tried going to settings > about device > software update > update? Mine had auto update checked, but it didn't detect an update for the longest time. It wasn't till I checked it manually before it gave me an update to install.

4. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

Mine did the same thing when i checked manually , it first said i was up to date on my software and then like 5 minutes later it send me a Software update :thinking:

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews