• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root From 2.2 to Android Gingerbread 2.3

xmg

Feb 11, 2011
Hi Guys.

I would like to install Android 2.3 on my unbranded desire, but im not sure which one is stable and how to do it exactly. The other thing, is it possible to restore the firmware back as original? Please if you dont mind explain me how to do it by step. I would be very grateful for your help! :)

The FAQs (SUroot's sigs) answer most of the questions - if anything still isn't clear, do ask.

I'm using GingerVillain 1.0, and although it's only been out 1 day it's been fine so far, as have the previous versions, so I'm happy to say it's stable from my personal experience. Be aware that you don't get HTC's Sense software with 2.3 - that's not been released yet - but those of us using 2.3 are people who prefer straight Android plus 3rd party apps (e.g. LauncherPro in my case).

Upvote 0
Be aware that you don't get HTC's Sense software with 2.3

Hi there Hadron.

One thing that I haven't been able to figure out about going from Sense to Gingerbread is whether you lose the ability to sync contacts with Facebook. I'm a big fan of this feature, purely for the fact that their contact picture always matches what is on Facebook.

Can you please let me know whether or not this is purely a Sense feature?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Firstly, don't confuse "Sense" and Gingerbread". Gingerbread is Android 2.3 whereas Sense is a userinterface HTC use for their Android-running hardware and covers all HTC-approved flavours of Android.

As far as I recall the Facebook Contacts feature is something rolled up in Sense so you'd lose this, although I suspect there may be a mod you can download that gives this feature once you've installed GV - but don't quote me on that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones