1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General From Droid X to Xperia Play First Impression

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cloudnueve, Sep 13, 2011.

1. cloudnueve

cloudnueve Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    I got my Droid X on September 28, 2010 and decided to buy a Xperia Play from Ebay instead of using my early upgrade that was coming up. I received the phone through mail yesterday and here are the big differences I experienced while switching from my X to the Play.

1) The four keys at the bottom takes some getting used to.
    Droid X - Left to Right Keys - Options, Home, Back and Search.
    Xperia Play - Left to Right Keys - Back, Home, Options and Search
    (Note: The Back Button is very useful in the position it is in, since the gamepad has the option button on it.)

2) Droid X has a 8 megapixel camera and the Xperia Play has a 5 megapixel camera plus a 1.3 megapixel front facing camera. This was a surprise, since I never had a front facing camera.

3) Droid X comes preinstalled with a 16gb sd card compare to the Xperia Play coming with 8gb. Probably not a major deal to some, but if you are looking to play psx games, then a 16gb or higher is recommended. I ended up formatting the Droid X card and installing it in the Xperia Play because of this.
    (Note: Be careful when buying cards off Ebay. I brought a 32gb Sandisk Card for $50.00 and found out that it was a fake. Well, I didn't really care about it being a fake, but the thing was that it kept randomly deleting my roms.)

4) Xperia Play is faster and have better battery life than the Droid X. The reason for this is because the Xperia Play is up to date on Froyo and the Droid X is up to date on Gingerbread. Froyo takes less power and this build lacks any social networking apps or widget (which is know to drain the battery). I played a lot of games yesterday and estimate roughly 7 hours of battery life if you play nothing but games.

5) Xperia Play screen is smaller than the Droid X. This isn't a bad thing, since the Xperia Play feels more comfortable in your hands.

6) I have an Otterbox for both phones. I will say right off the bat that the Xperia Play Otterbox is not that great. I'm in the process of cutting the rubber covering over the L and R trigger buttons for better access to them.

That's pretty much it for my first impressions. I love my Droid X, but hate using the touch screen for classic gaming. I'm loving the Xperia Play for gamepad and other unexpected features. It only been a day, but I'm very satisfied. Thanks for reading.

Advertisement

2. AmneonX

AmneonX Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    http://www.androidwaypoint.com
    Michigan
    I wrote a blog for another website on this same switch. I definitely prefer the Xperia Play. However my XP has Gingerbread and lasts well over 10 hours with atleast 1.5 hours of gaming, and more for internet and phone.

3. cloudnueve

cloudnueve Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010

I basically played Ken Griffery Jr. Major League Baseball on SNESoid for 2 hours straight. My battery was around the 70% mark when I finished. So I estimated around 7 hours with straight gaming and nothing else. I can't complain about the battery. I think I got the same results from playing non-emulator games on my Droid X.

My phone isn't rooted or have a custom rom.

4. Wisenos

Wisenos Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 13, 2010
    you wouldn't understand lol
    hehe the xperia play comes with gingerbread :p