1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General From ios 3gs to Note 4 - mini review

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tandtmah, Nov 5, 2014.

1. tandtmah

tandtmah Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2014
    Initially I put my name in for an iphone 6 plus, but decided that the Note 4 was the device for me...

The good:

The screen - Wow I can't say enough about how sharp, and crisp everything is. Blacks are super black. Colors pop. The extra resolution helps with the sharpness of text. Samsung got this exactly right!

The pen - Works great! Recognizes my quick scribbles. I can jot a number down and call it instantly or add it as a contact, etc.

The configurability of the o/s - I added live wall papers, added a new weather and clock widget, set up some gestures.

The battery life - I was not concerned with battery conservation from the start, I wanted to see all the features without worry about the drain its going to cause. I can get a full work day in without recharge. That is using all the bells and whistles of BT, live wall papers, a few widgets etc.

The size - Its big enough to ditch the tablet at home and yet it still fits in my pocket (It sticks out a bit).

The not so good:

The O/S - from an ios world, Android has a few problems. I tried installing apps while driving to work on the LTE network. If you loose coverage then get onto a wifi network, the play store gets confused and freezes. I ended up having to clear my cache and re-start the install from scratch (it took a few tries). This generally does not happen in the ios world.

The O/S - I created an empty folder in the apps drawer and it is not intuitive in how to delete that folder from the apps drawer.

The O/S - I lost an icon in my apps drawer even though it was there in my downloaded apps view and on my home page. The only way to get it back was to uninstall the app and re-install it.

Samsung bloatware - Wow there was a lot of bloat on this device out of the box. Uber, Whats App, Hancom Office, Pages Manager, Pen.UP, etc. I also had some default Rogers Canada apps as well from the carrier.

Conclusion:
    Overall I am very happy with the switch. I had some initial concerns that I wouldn't be able to find replacement apps from the ios ecosystem, but I was able to replace all my must have apps with the Android versions, there were a few games that aren't on Android yet, but that is minor. Still have to do some learning and I know I've only scratched the surface of what this device can do!

Hope this mini-review will be helpful to other ios users thinking about making the switch.

Advertisement

2. mattywalnuts

mattywalnuts Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    L.I.
    Congrats and welcome to the club. Just addressing the bloatware issue (I know it's a pain), you can disable and/or turn off a lot of the apps that come pre-installed. Or you can just hide them so they don't appear in the app drawer.

Enjoy!

3. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thankfully most of the bloat and sensor bling can easily be deactivated and does not take up much app storage anyway.

4. Risley

Risley Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 18, 2012
    I drilled a small hole in the back of my Note 4 and sucked all the bloatware out

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launched in 2014 as the company's flagship phablet. It has a 5.7-inch screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 3GB of RAM, and an impressive 16 megapixel camera.