1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General From Motorola Droid to LG Esteem (Verizon to Metro PCS)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by poluka2000, Dec 8, 2011.

1. poluka2000

poluka2000 Member
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    I hope this is helpful for anyone who is thinking about making the leap as I have. I know I wish I could have found this kind of information when I was doing my homework.

I had Verizon for at least 10 years and I would imagine I spent $18,000-$25,000 in that amount of time (makes me cringe to think about that much money!) My Metro PCS coverage will be pretty much Exactly $50 a month or $600 a year ($6000 over 10 years)

For the last 8 years I have had crappy service at my house, I even bought a booster to the tune of $200+ which helped but my service was still less then what you would expect from the "Best Network".

With times being what they are I really needed to save money. I have been cutting expenses every where I can. I have not had a land line at home for more then a year so having a good cell phone and good service is important. So it was a bit nerve racking to switch phones and service.

The last couple of years I have had a Motorola Droid and I have been happy with it. The one thing I wished was different about it was the size, I wished it was bigger. For one, I have a big head, or at least my ears are far enough back on my head that when I had the speaker over my ear, the mic was too far from mouth (or to far around to the side of my face). So I would get complaints from people I was talking to on the phone unless I cupped my hand over my mouth and phone of moved the phone down closer and away from my ear. I had had this problem with other phones as well.

The second reason why I wanted a bigger phone was because I have big fingers and typing on the screen and the keyboard was challenging (lets just say I racked a few problematic typos :). A bigger phone is also easier to hold onto. Many a time I pulled my Droid out of my pocket and it went sailing out of my hand, it is a wonder it never broke. I tried different cases on it and in the end it worked best in its naked form.

So anyone who is familiar with the LG Esteem will understand its appeal for someone like me. It is a large phone as far as phones go. Now I have only had my LG Esteem for a couple of days but so far it is every bit as good and better then my Droid. Of course my Droid is kind of out dated, but still a damn good phone. I think the full retail price on a Droid when I bought mine was about $600, with a 2 year contract it still cost about $200 (AIR), I also had to pay sales tax ($51) on $600 even though my contract price was $200. So shelling out $250 with no contract didn't seem so bad. I ordered my phone from Sam's Cub online, had I bought it in a store I would have paid $350 and then waited 6-8 weeks for a $100 rebate. (Sam's club essentially gave an instant rebate) I sprang for the $19.99 next business day shipping and I had it in hand in less then 24 hours (MD to CA), I was impressed. Especially since I was down to the wire and my service with verizon was about to rest.

My first little hick up with Metro PCS came when I went to activate my phone online. I would strongly recommend you take your phone to a store to activate especially if you want to "Port" over your existing phone number from another carrier. I had problems with that online so I went to the nearest MetroPCS Authorized store and they could not help me, so I had to go to the nearest Corporate store which was an additional 15 miles away and the line there was was about 13 people long. Had I just gone into the near by Authorized store from the start they could have activated the phone and set up my plan. There was no line at the local Authorized dealer, in fact the girl working there seemed down right lonely :) Customer service could not help me over the phone either.

For the sake of comparison, customer service at Metro is not quite the same as Verizon, lets just say Metro had that very over seas flavor with a lot of back ground noise. One customer service guy I spoke to was very clearly in a crowed room with a lot of other customer service reps. NBD, they were still very happy to help my friend, and yet very sorry they could not help my friend. :)

When I got home from having my phone activated I realized that the time was wrong. After searching through the menus and finding no way to set a time zone I looked up androidforums (there is a thread on it) and decided to reboot the phone and sleep on it. The next morning the time was corrected. NBD

After I had my phone for about 24 hours I realized I was not getting text messages. They were apparently going out but not coming in. I tried to call customer service but all I had was my new cell phone, as it turns out you can't actually call MetroPCS Customer Service from your MetroPCS phone as far as I can tell. When you dial them up you wind up have your phone call directed to a web page (at least on an android phone). I am still trying to wrap my head around this. But by the next morning my text messages started coming in, the ones from the day before were undoubtedly lost, but the new ones were coming in.
    I suspect the network was some how not fully updated and not routing my texts to my new service. NBD

So far I am happy with my new phone and my new service. The coverage map on the MetroPCS web page seems to be accurate with the exception of the 4G coverage, it DID NOT show 4G at my house, but I DO HAVE 4G coverage there, which is great news! ( I am just gonna use my wifi but hay, it works)

I live in Southern California, more specifically in Eastvale (near Ontario, Corona, Chino, 15fwy and 60fwy area). I work in Covina. So far I have only dropped 2 calls, one on the 91 fwy in riverside near Corona and one in the hills of La Verne. I think that is pretty good. I expected less coverage, Metro PCs is the 5th largest network, and it cost me about 1/3rd of what I was paying.

The other down side is that many of the people I talk to on the phone have Verizon and they are use to talking to me for free since we use to be on the same network. Just food for thought, in most cases this can be worked around by having you added to there "circle", out of network thing-a-mabob. Or just get them to switch to a new unlimited service.

So far my take on it is that if you live in a populated area and you are not out on the open road much you can probably do well with Metro PCS or another carrier like that.

My last bill with my previous carrier had over $200 worth of talk time overages, though an amount that high was not common for me, it is still $200 gone (even if it only happens once a year). Switching to my new service is a nice way to avoid those painful surprises. Ending my previous contract and Cutting off my Ex GFs phone was kind of priceless :), I had that one last string to cut.

I hope someone finds this helpful, especially since most of us need to save some extra money these days. The LG Esteem really does ROCK!

One more thing, if you go to have a new phone activated and you want to "Port" or bring your existing phone number over to a new carrier, make sure to bring your existing account number with you and your pass word (which is often the last 4 digits of your SSN) IF you did activate your account online you can still go to a Corporate store and have you previous number ported over which is what I did.

Advertisement

yahhboy, revogozoom and ShinySide like this.
  2. ShinySide

ShinySide Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Now that was a BOOK! :D But none the less that has to be one of the best personal experience reviews I've ever seen on here. Glad your happy with your phone! It is a pretty badass phone for the price and the cost of the service. Make sure you stick around here for the ROM flashing party, then its really gonna get fun! :D

poluka2000 likes this.
  3. poluka2000

poluka2000 Member
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks Shinyside, I have to say I have read many of your posts over the last couple of days and they were all helpful.

I got Rooten on my mind :) I keep telling my self I just got the phone,,, slow down man, slow down... but I know I will root it soon :)

It is a lot to take in all at once....

4. Prime85

Prime85 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011

Welcome! We are happy to have you here!

poluka2000 likes this.
  5. danyvw

danyvw Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    USA
    Welcome! Did you tried calling 611? Thats the direct number of MPCS.

poluka2000 likes this.
  6. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    To help people, currently student
    US
    Welcome to the club.

You might want to try new tips and tweaks fire the phone...

poluka2000 likes this.
  7. poluka2000

poluka2000 Member
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    @danyvw, yes when I dialed 611 and the 888 metro 8 ,the call basically transitioned to a webpage on my phone, Imagine my surprise? well I got no where and it was late so I put my phone under my pillow and cried myself to sleep,, (well not exactly). By morning the good phone fairy came and fix all my texting troubles,,, now instead of being sad I have lots of Esteem. :)

I crack myself up sometimes

Jeyd02 , I am itching to do some tweaking, but you know how it is, you read and read and re-read trying to pick a direction, well at least I do, I tend to obsess a bit.

It would be cool if there was a thread that went something like this:

"Ok Droids and Droidets,
    We are threaded here today to plot a course to a greater Esteem!
    Our goal is to:(?free up memory and save battery life, unshackle ourselves from the bloat and crapdetude of the manufactures??)

Down load the rooting gear here!
    Pluger in and......

Now, this is the list of bloats to 86, 1)...2)...3)

now install Titanium or ??wtf??? or ????
    and then Watchamacallit 2.4
    next you may want to....

and this will achieve exactly this : blah Blah de Blah... "

As it is a lot of stuff is kind of spread out over threads, lots of good stuff, just no flow chart for Nubs... I am not trying to pick on this site, It is like this no matter what you want to mod, especially in the beginning when products and ideas are new. I am just saying or really I am just begging for a concise explanation, which I know is asking a lot of someone to take the time to type out. But I am dyslexic and hopping from thread to thread trying to piece the big picture together is super tedious. :)

8. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    To help people, currently student
    US

There it's no problem at all. although there are several threads that contains really useful information and tweaks for the phone.

Just ask what you need help with and we will assist you at anything possible

poluka2000 likes this.
  9. travioso

travioso Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Ocala, FL
    ShinySide just didn't something along these lines just a bit ago.. Check this out:

http://androidforums.com/esteem-all...esteem-all-things-root-guide.html#post3617400

Tags: