1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

From Nexus 5 to Moto X 2014?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chukka63, Oct 1, 2014.

1. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast

If the new nexus is 5.9" i will be looking elsewhere for a new phone.I was told on here previously that the Moto x is the nearest thing to pure android,is this still the case.
    I've done a little research and have read that Motorola do in fact put some bloatware on the phone and some apps.If i wanted to remove these, is it possible to without it messing with any other apps etc.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ktriebol

ktriebol Member

jj14x and Rxpert83 like this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I went ahead and made the move over there :)

4. apjans

apjans Newbie

Basically the new Moto X is running stock android, all of Motorola's features are controlled in a stand-alone app. If you buy it through Verizon or AT&T (for example) you will still get whatever bloatware they choose to put on the phone as well.

Without gaining root access to the phone, the closest thing to deleting some if not all of these apps (I don't have the phone yet so I can't verify exactly) would be disabling them and hiding them.

5. mumfoau

mumfoau Well-Known Member

The only bloat that was on my Verizon variant were Verizon apps and all but maybe 1 was able to be disabled. This thing is pretty much a Nexus.

6. charliecc

charliecc Android Enthusiast

Have you looked at the OnePlus One. It runs cyanogen mod, so is very like stock, but with a few little extras. Also, it's priced like a Nexus, unlike the Moto X.

The new Moto G is also worth a look. Don't be fooled by the low price, it's a great phone.

7. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast

I wouldn't call Motorola's additions bloatware, personally. They're very much useful, but given everyone is different, you can just turn them off if you want the purest of the pure Android. Either way, they're not intrusive or in your face, at all.

The carriers, however, do add bloatware, so I'd recommend the Pure Edition if you're on AT&T or TMO. Alternatively, you can disable what you don't like. Otherwise, it's a pretty vanilla experience, Google Now launcher and all.

8. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast

I have ordered a moto x so fingers crossed.

9. happy0506

happy0506 Well-Known Member

I predict you are going to love it! One week of use for me and I still haven't found any negative surprises.

10. charcape

charcape Lurker

Same here. Had my Moto X 2014 since Xmas and love it! Before, I was wary of its size becuase I used a SS4 Mini, but after 2 weeks, all is good! Very fast phone.

11. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Put it this way, since my Moto X2013, I have since been with the N5 and now the Samsung Galaxy S5, because it was a gift. Mid Feb, I'm going back to the Moto X 2014, so that should tell you something. The was has my 2013 X and loves it and won't give it back to me, LOL ;)

Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) release date was September 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2300mAh battery.

September 2014
Release Date
Reviews