1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips From Note2 to Note4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by miss_vickies, Nov 25, 2014.

1. miss_vickies

miss_vickies Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2012
    Female
    Toronto
    Hi guys!

Got my Note 4 last week and so in love with it!
    So far I am just obsessed with the camera - such clear picture!
    However, a lot has changed it seems... is there a guide or something that outlines ALL the features of Note 4 (even those added and kept from Note 3)?
    S-Pen also seems to be so much better.... but again, I don't know the full extent on what I can do with it.
    I am also noticing that some apps seem to be laggy and crash. Is this because those apps are not supporting this android version yet?
    And some just act weird. Yesterday I uploaded a video to instagram that I took with the phone's video camera and instagram truncated the bottom part of video. Anyone knows anything about this?

thanks guys!

Advertisement

2. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Houston
    I have a Verizon Note II on a grandfathered UDP that is rooted and pretty much set up the way I like it. I have a couple extra regular batteries and the giant extended battery. I use it almost exclusively for watching video and internet access. (I never use the phone bit.)

The only thing that bothers me right now is with dark scenes on videos. (For example, the outdoor night scenes on Sleep Hollow.) There really is no decent contrast and I just kind of suffer through them.

Given that I'm happy with everything else (and the VZ boot loader lockdown) I was not really thinking about a change. Then I saw the thread about the developer edition and got on that list from Samsung. But now I'm wondering. Is it really worth it? I don't mind the cost but the angnst over when/if they will actually release the phone bugs me.

So, will I get any real improvement in video on the dark scenes? Also, will there be any performance advantage on the radio side? I live in Houston and get a really decent LTE signal but are there changes that will impact the Note II performance? Or should I just blow it off and wait for the next big thing? :)

TIA
    DLM

3. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Engineer
    Wichita
    I have a Note 2 as well. Waiting on the Edge. Nothing I NEED in the Note 4. Besides, the wife used the upgrade.

4. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    If all you're using it for is watching videos, I'd pass for now until there are some bona fide root methods for VZW.

5. miss_vickies

miss_vickies Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2012
    Female
    Toronto
    I just made the switch to note 4 from note 2... have not tested the difference yet but my note 2 was acting up and crashing and the battery was terrible so i was eager to switch. I love it.. the battery life is fantastic, the camera is so much better and more things to do with my SPen, but some apps act a bit weird, maybe need an update. If you are ok, i'd wait for the edge!

6. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Since you stated the $ isn't an issue,I say Why Not Upgrade.
    Grab the Developer Edition & be happy for another 2+ Yrs.:)

7. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Engineer
    Wichita
    Did you ever get the Developer Edition?

8. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Houston
    That kind of goes back to my dilemma. IF they ever release the developer edition of
    I'm on the list, I think. I tried to order one and got the backorder notice from Samsung but I'm not holding my breath. If I do get a chance, I'll probably buy it but the waiting is making me question if it's worth worrying about.

FWIW
    DLM

9. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010
    The only app I am experiencing problems with is Hangouts. On the Note 4, its VERY laggy and some friends say they receive my messages very late. I looked in the Note 4 reviews on hangouts in the play store and just about everyone says the same. Just waiting on am update

That's the only one I'm having problems with.

10. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Male
    Digital marketing intern
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    I'd suggest watching Erica Griffin's review on YouTube, she does quite the thorough job in talking about EVERYTHING the phone is capable of.

Yep, some apps require optimising for the Note 4's newer hardware, don't worry though, with the Nexus 6 using the same hardware (CPU/GPU, RAM, QHD Display) the situation should get much better. Which apps are you finding very laggy?

When it comes to Instagram, it is always best to just to use Instagram's own vid camera, they seem to be very slow in optimising for newer phones.

Hope that helps!

miss_vickies and KOLIO like this.
  11. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Houston
    Well, this morning, I received the e-mail that my backorder was ready to fill, signed in and ordered the Note 4 DE. We'll see what actually shows up...

FWIW
    DLM

12. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    You have concerns? Perhaps it will look like this?:

[​IMG]

13. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Houston
    I'm actually hoping for a pre-release-developer-gold-edition Note 5!

FWIW
    DLM

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launched in 2014 as the company's flagship phablet. It has a 5.7-inch screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 3GB of RAM, and an impressive 16 megapixel camera.