1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

from old x to new x

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nightdiff, Sep 7, 2011.

1. nightdiff

nightdiff Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2010
    I broke the glass on my motorola droid x the other day.Iam receiving a new one tomorrow,what is the best way transfer my contacts,apps and settings to the new x?

Advertisement

2. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Both contacts and apps are backed up to your Google account so maybe, if you can, resync everything to that account. I have read that sometimes not all apps return.

As for settings, I don't know which settings you mean.

nightdiff likes this.
  3. nightdiff

nightdiff Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2010
    anyone else have ideas?

4. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    Phone contacts can be retrieved thru Verizon back up very easily(if they were backed up). E-mail depends on which one you are using. Yahoo is no problem at all.

5. anabsa

anabsa Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Middle of Nowhere NE
    Sync contacts with Gmail. Apps, well login to the market from a pc and install them that way. I just recently had to wipe my phone, and a lot of the stuff came back automatically. If apps have been removed from the market they won't come back to your phone.

6. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    On old phone.

1) go to Settings/Privacy and check boxes for Back Up My Data and Automatic Restore.
    2) Go to Settings/Backup Assistant and hit Sync Now. Also, go to contacts/Import Export and choose Export to SD Card. This will be a fail safe.

All your texts will be gone unless you install SMS backup. It will only back them up to your gmail account. Save any pictures or media within the text messages. All your pictures and media on the SD card will be ok, just pull the card out and install it in the new phone.

About once every 3 months I plug my phone in to my computer and copy the entire contents of the sd card to a backup folder. I suggest you do the same.

nightdiff likes this.
  7. nightdiff

nightdiff Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2010
    if i move my apps from phone to sd card,then plug in sd card to new phone will the apps install on new phone?

8. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes. You will have to install each app .apk individually, but yes they will install.

The only hitch I could see is if your first X was running Froyo and your new one is on Gingerbread. Some apps only work on Froyo, or at least work properly. If your old phone was on Gingerbread then there will be no issue.

nightdiff likes this.
  9. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Marlton, NJ
    There needs to be some clarification here. Contacts and text messages were covered, but apps not fully. Your apps may be backed up, but much of your data may not be.
    I've had issues with Google backup before. Instead, I'd always recommend going the rooted route and backing up all data using Titanium Backup. That way you know its going to come back.