• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help From Palm: App Replacement

Nepherim

Nov 13, 2009
solidgone.org
I'm moving to the Droid, coming from a Palm T3. Anyone know of any good replacements for:
  • DiddleBug -- allows handwritten notes, Basically a drawing program allowing you to jot and categorize quick notes. (It doesn't perform handwriting conversion.)
  • Bonsai -- heirarhichal list organizer.
  • eWallet -- no Android version on the horizon. Looking for something to store credit card info, passport info, etc. LastPass and KeePass don't quite fit the bill. SplashID is way to costly.
  • Calculator -- with unit conversion.
  • USB Sync (Outlook) -- as far as I can tell this isn't available yet. I want to USB sync solution. As much as I like Google products, I do not want to use Google as a middle man.

Suggestions?

~ ~ Dave

I use an app called simply Draw! that I find an equiv to Diddle Bug

I also have installed, and you should check out for yourself, "Unit convertor", AK Notepad and Calculator from Kreactive Technologies. They may be useful to you as well.

I used to use an app, Handy Shopper, that I truly loved. Haven't found similar for Droid or any that were good for grocery shopping yet - tried Cloud List today and besides the FC's, it wasn't working nicely, so it's a gonner.

PittCaleb

Upvote 0
For DiddleBug, I checked out Draw! and it's not really very usable for handwriting, nor does it offer categorization. I also checked out Sketch, and that's slightly better for writing -- still no categorization though. So still looking for recommendations.

For Calculator, I'm going with RealCalc. It's more calculator than I need, but it easily covers my reqs, and also has unit conversions.

eWallet and Bonsai -- nothing yet, so any suggestions welcomed.

In terms of USB sych, another alternative is CompanionLink. A press release I got from them today:
we expect to launch a direct and secure two-way USB sync solution for Android phones within 90 days.

You will be able to do a wired (USB) sync between your PC and Android phone. You will not need to use Google or other over-the-air services to transfer, back up, or sync your data. Everything is securely done using the USB cable that came with your phone.

<snip>
Our plan is to sync PC contacts to the native address book on Android phones. For calendar and tasks, we have a refreshingly different approach. We are developing our own calendar and tasklist apps that will run on Android phones.
So still looking for solutions that exist today.

Upvote 0
I agree with Draw! not being great for writing, which I loved about Diddle Bug. I think my problem is using my finger rather than a stylus. Screen was bigger on Palm but control tighter because of stylus. I think that's going to be a problem for all Palm users for most apps for a while.

Going to look into your suggested apps now.

PittCaleb

Upvote 0
I see that "mobile action" apperarntly has a download available to get the M droid to sync with outlook. It does not appear that the "mark Space" has their software available yet. Have you tried the "Mobile Action" software yet?. I just updated from the Palm Treo and have a ton of files in the Palm PC program that comes with the treo and would like to get them sync to my Droid. Does anybody have a way to do it. I have a lot of files stored in "my documents" from Word files and would like to get them on my droid too.

Upvote 0
I ton of files in the Palm PC program that comes with the treo and would like to get them sync to my Droid. .

The developer of Note Everything has just added an automated import from palm memos !! I imported converted 400 + in seconds !! So fast I thought there may have been a problem - but worked perfectly !! He did this after a request for help.

Upvote 0
CSV - stands for comma separated variable (or something close to that !!) basically, Its a a text file where fields of data are separated by commas.

I'm not familiar with the treo but if you look at:
Read instructions here: SoftXPerience | Import Palm

and they make sense - then you can bring over the palm memo from the desktop. If not then you need some more searches - googling.. Good luck - let us know.

Upvote 0
I'm looking for something that will allow me to state the aisle a product is found in, thus when im in the store, i can sort by aisle. HandyShopper for the Palm is the perfect app for this. check it out if you want to see what im looking for.

I've just released an alpha version of AndyShopper for Android. I'm not affiliated in any way with previous or current development of any of the official HandyShopper versions, and I simply felt there is a need to have a HandyShopper like application for Android. Sorting on aisle is one of the sort options (actually you can sort on any attribute that is available for an item).

I made a full post in the Yahoo HandyShopper group if you want more information.

You can download the alpha builds from here:

AndyShopper for Android

@+,
Feico

Upvote 0
As a long time HandyShopper user who has migrated to Android via an HTC Incredible, I welcome your efforts.

I'm not entirely enthralled with ToMarket, which is the most robust Android app and closest equivalent to HandyShopper.

I like, for instance, AndyShopper's ability to filter by store. I haven't seen that in ToMarket (at least the Lite version).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones