• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From Pre to Evo: First Impressions...

The main thing I miss is swiping things horizontally to delete (I keep trying to do it), and swiping up to kill an app. WebOS is actually a great OS, but it was sadly grafted onto crappy hardware.

I did miss the Pre keyboard until I installed Swype. Also, some things feel a little more clunky and less tightly integrated on the Evo, but I think that is probably more me needing to get used to Android. And as the poster mentioned above, notifications are better on the Pre, but it's not something I'm going to miss.

Upvote 0
The main thing I miss is swiping things horizontally to delete (I keep trying to do it), and swiping up to kill an app. WebOS is actually a great OS, but it was sadly grafted onto crappy hardware.

+1. if someone was looking over my shoulder yesterday, i musta looked like a dope flicking my finger all over the bottom of the screen. i'm better today.

Upvote 0
I'm a launch day Pre owner and I honestly love WebOS, but when I started playing with Android I was an instant fan. The Hero and the Moment were definitely not enough to make me switch to Android - but when the EVO was announced, I KNEW I had to get this device. Just with HTC's build quality and reputation - I already knew this would be THE phone to get. I was severely disappointed with the Pre's build quality and Palm's lack of commitment to announcing new hardware. I don't have the EVO yet (monday) but I've played with it enough times to know it's everything that Palm should have invested in hardware wise.

Upvote 0
-The evo kills the pre in battery life :D (lol), apps, hardware.
-I love webos, but Im really loving android with sense.
-Both phones feel great in the hands. The evo is noticibly heavier when switching from the pre, but in 2 days, the evo will feel normal.
-the evo never says 'you have too many cards open' where there are actually no cards open
- the evo feels solid in the hands, the pre is pretty shakey considerng the dropdown physical keyboard.

Finally:

palm pre- 1 flag
htc evo- 6 flags

more flags more fun haha

Upvote 0
I too am pre to evo. I still love webos and miss some of the gestures especially the swipe delete. I also REALLY miss my touchstone. I love my evo and it definitely beats the pre hands down. My husband now has my pre and i spent some time today showing him how to use it. Coming from his instinct he was very impressed with webos but he is eyeing my evo. He says the pre will suit him fine till the fall when he is due an upgrade. Phone tech evolves so quickly we soon forget how good what we had seemed when we first got it. Im sure next summer the new ultimate phone will make the amazing evo look sad.

Upvote 0
I've had my pre since last years launch and I'm really on the fence about getting the evo. Anyone who went from the pre to the evo please give me your honest opinion on how you feel about the change, both pro and con. It would really help me in my decision. Thanks...

I've long been one of the bigger Pre fans on around, using it for both home and three different businesses, and made the switch to Evo. If you've used the Pre for a while, you know some of the things said below ("Pre is a pos," etc.) are patently untrue. The Pre was an amazingly functional device with a lot of great things going for it, even on the slower Sprint model.

I don't think you need the Pros of the Evo. There are too many to list. It is definitely a superior device, and I'd recommend at least trying it out if you can.

I will give you a few cons. These aren't knocking on the Evo, as I'm already a big fan, but worth thinking about if you were a heavy Pre user:

1. You will miss Synergy. Android does not do nearly as good of a job with the contact management. I have, in one form or another, over 1000 contacts, and it is much more frustrating trying to get to them on the Evo versus the Pre. Don't get me wrong -- it's still easy to do -- but it's not as lightning fast and simple.
  2. You will miss the Pre's version of Universal Search. It is better than the search on the Evo, and it was much easier to activate on the fly with the keyboard than going through the search and text/voice entry.
  3. You will miss Swipe to Delete. I've used about every mail client available now on the Evo, and it is frustrating to manage e-mail compared to the Pre. Even the better ones are slower to use than the default application on the Pre. Keep in mind on this part, I receive a vast amount of e-mails a day, and if you don't get a lot, this may not affect you as much.
  4. The Evo battery runs down faster than the Pre battery does (if your Pre is updated). Much faster, in my usage so far; I am trying to be fair here, though, as when the Pre came out its battery life was absolutely horrendous and it took them a while to get it right.
  5. You will miss the WebOS interface. It's still easier to use than anything out there -- and yes, I have used them all, so I'm not speaking off my arse. But the interface on the Evo is pretty darned close to great, so don't let that hang you up too much.
Putting those in perspective, they're really not a bad group of Cons. Again, at least check out the Evo if you can, and definitely RTFM and/or get someone who uses Android to show you the shortcuts. A lot of your initial complaints you will have about the device (if you haven't used Android before) are addressed through things that might not be immediately intuitive to you on trying it.

If you have any specific questions, drop me a message. I like both devices immensely and have used 'em both (albeit not as long on the Evo, as it just came out!) in a lot of environments.

Reactions: edlex
Upvote 0
Well from the day one system issues with all the activations an updates I would say I love this phone. There is only one thing that really getting to me is my city is set up for 4g but I'm getting same speed test numbers that my hero gets in 3g. Seems like the city I'm in doesn't have a very good set up. Shoot even the tower that covers my house has a triangle of dead coverage right were I live.

Upvote 0
Well from the day one system issues with all the activations an updates I would say I love this phone. There is only one thing that really getting to me is my city is set up for 4g but I'm getting same speed test numbers that my hero gets in 3g. Seems like the city I'm in doesn't have a very good set up. Shoot even the tower that covers my house has a triangle of dead coverage right were I live.

I feel your pain. My home is literally a dead spot, starting from about 15 feet out from it. If I go about 50 feet away I get blazing fast connection and no issues. Femtocell + Wifi mostly takes care of it, but still, egh!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones