• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From RIMM to Droid...say goodnight, Tour!

biotob

Jul 7, 2011
Good god, man. This is my first Android phone, I've had it for less than 24 and i'm enjoying the crap out of it. Now, if only I can rid it of the 3 pages of garbage that's in the Applications screen. Seriously, most of it is bloatware mixed in with useful shtuff like your alarm clock, settings, etc.
Anywho, yay DROID! I think i'll stay around for a while. :)
SoMuchWin.png

When you get to the point when you feel like "hacking" your phone, you can always root it and delete the bloatware. :)

Just make sure there's a way to flash back. I just got a charge and loving it. Came from many android phones, last was a droid x. I remember some issues where if some apps weren't installed, updates could not be applied or something like that.

Upvote 0
Just make sure there's a way to flash back. I just got a charge and loving it. Came from many android phones, last was a droid x. I remember some issues where if some apps weren't installed, updates could not be applied or something like that.

You'll have the same issue here. But, as always, there are ways around it. :D

Having a way of going back to stock is ALWAYS something useful to have laying around!

Upvote 0
you guys think the droid blow your minds..... I can from a Motorola Razr with no internet at all... and suddenly, this latest greatest phone period(yes,I think this phone with the 4G=LTE speed blow any Iphone in the market today)....wow.... what all these apps.... Need to find out something...wikipedia is a few click away.(no need to get to a PC)....
and that camera.... It is almost as good as my $300+ Sony camera bought last year...
it acts as GPS too.....
and I kept the Razr for all these years??????

Upvote 0
To those who've suggested Go launcher EX, you're all my new best friends. it's pretty much awesome. I DID try some others (Launcher Pro, and ADW), but they pale in comparison. The Go-line of widgets are pretty sexy and well developed, and the UI is incredibly smooth with almost no lag. There IS one issue I had, and I'm not sure if it's with Go-Launcher EX or Android in general; it took way to long for me to figure out how to set my own wallpaper. I must be doing something wrong, because when i try to open the .jpg file from my SD (into the gallery) I can't set it to be my wallpaper, and the gallery crashes. Regardless, somehow I got it to work...don't ask me how, because I don't know off the top of my head.

When you get to the point when you feel like "hacking" your phone, you can always root it and delete the bloatware. :)
Believe me, I've had intentions of hacking the phone b4 I even bought it lol. But, I'm skeptical, and slightly paranoid since it voids the warranty (I know, there's a way around that too, like I said...I'm a lil skeptical). I just want to make sure I get into the "ins and outs" of the phone b4 I go that route. I don't like fumbling around when I'm doing something like that...I don't want a $300 paper weight.

you guys think the droid blow your minds..... I can from a Motorola Razr with no internet at all... and suddenly, this latest greatest phone period(yes,I think this phone with the 4G=LTE speed blow any Iphone in the market today)....wow.... what all these apps.... Need to find out something...wikipedia is a few click away.(no need to get to a PC)....
and that camera.... It is almost as good as my $300+ Sony camera bought last year...
it acts as GPS too.....
and I kept the Razr for all these years??????
ROCK ON DUDE!, I remember when i had a Razr...I can only imagine what you're feeling right now; complete and utter amazement if I'm correct.

On a separate note, this is the second greatest move I've made...the first being from Windows to Ubunutu 10.10 a few weeks ago (It took a few tries to convince me, but after this last one when I dove in full-force, I never looked back). For those of you who DO have Ubuntu, the Ubuntu One app should be one of your first apps...seriously, it's indispensable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones